News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on May 01, 2014, 11:16:43 PM

Where'd you go? Any highlights, other than the washing machines?
Japan Sea coast from Izumo to Obama.
It was quite fascinating to see the old style temples and how different they are to the ones that were built later in Japanese history, after Chinese influence became stronger.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2616576/Subway-removes-ham-pork-nearly-200-stores-strong-demand-Muslims-eat-Halal-meat.html

I eat at Subway a lot for lunch and nearly all of them around here are Indian-owned with (I assume) the owner's relatives comprising most of the staff.  I always wondered if serving roast beef or ham/bacon compromised their religious views in their mind, assuming they were either Hindu or Muslim.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Timmay's spelling test found.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 09:35:50 AM
Language evolves.

A 5th grader who has not learned how to spell isn't proof of the evolution of language. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 09:11:28 AM
Fucking Muslims.

I respect your French-Canadian culture.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2014, 09:49:04 AM
Language evolves.

A 5th grader who has not learned how to spell isn't proof of the evolution of language. :huh:

No however everytime someone complains about grammar, especially Tim. I am going to state that Languages evolve.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ideologue on May 02, 2014, 09:51:01 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 09:11:28 AM
Fucking Muslims.

I respect your French-Canadian culture.

Taking away our Ham would be 100 times worse than taking away our ability to speak French. A THOUSAND TIMES.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 10:04:51 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2014, 09:49:04 AM
Language evolves.

No however everytime someone complains about grammar, especially Tim. I am going to state that Languages evolve.

Well that's odd. But thanks for the heads up that you'll be make irrelevant posts that can be safely ignored.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Complaining about grammar is just a different take on being "Stay off my lawn" old.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

Grammar is a means of ordering language to ease communication.  The lack of it produces recent examples such as this :

QuoteSince we seem to be moving into an era where money if the main way to make money it would seem by doing so you would be damning your children to slave away in the lower classes.

So, yes, grammar is very important.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

How so? How would grammar change that statement? Its understandable as it is.

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on May 02, 2014, 10:35:40 AM
Grammar is a means of ordering language to ease communication.  The lack of it produces recent examples such as this

I have plenty of grammer, just no commas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."