And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 24, 2014, 01:17:28 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 24, 2014, 04:46:01 AM
I don't understand chicken wings. Way too little meat on way too much bones.

That is the idea.  Lots of surface area for little meat so perfect for sauces.

PLus lots of delicious, fatty skin that gets nice and crispy when fried...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2014, 01:18:25 PM

Chicken wings are for those who seek ways to make enjoyable chewing on gristly bits that others rightly throw away.  :P

Though it could be worse - the Chinese love chicken feet.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on April 24, 2014, 01:01:01 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2014, 12:56:18 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 24, 2014, 12:46:43 PM
It is. It's still a pretty significant impediment to free competition on a number of levels.

Agree that it's an impediment, but not sure how significant.  In the example you gave most users would probably wait through the lag.  If anything they would just assume their ISP is generally slow.

Over the medium term, I disagree.

I see the scenario playing out like this: Google starts being slow, slower than usual even. It's annoying. One day, for whatever reason (response to an ad, clickbait, someone else using your computer) you try Bing and it's lightning fast. You experiment for a bit, and Bing is consistently faster; you switch to Bing as your default search engine.

Over time, and with masses of users, the (network imposed) difference in quality will alter user behaviour.

It depends on how slow it is.  If it's a second or two lag, I still say most people would sit through it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

It is a lot of effort and mess for a tiny bit of meat.  I generally like wings, but sometimes I'll pass on them due to the mess.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2014, 02:47:52 PM
It is. It's still a pretty significant impediment to free competition on a number of levels.

Agree that it's an impediment, but not sure how significant.  In the example you gave most users would probably wait through the lag.  If anything they would just assume their ISP is generally slow.

I see the scenario playing out like this: Google starts being slow, slower than usual even. It's annoying. One day, for whatever reason (response to an ad, clickbait, someone else using your computer) you try Bing and it's lightning fast. You experiment for a bit, and Bing is consistently faster; you switch to Bing as your default search engine.

Over time, and with masses of users, the (network imposed) difference in quality will alter user behaviour.

It depends on how slow it is.  If it's a second or two lag, I still say most people would sit through it.

Well then, it's probably not too hard to throttle it a bit more until you get the desired result.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on April 24, 2014, 02:51:21 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2014, 02:47:52 PM

Well then, it's probably not too hard to throttle it a bit more until you get the desired result.

Okay. 

derspiess

mongers

Just for you Jacob:

Denmark's blocklike transformation:

Minecraft players can now download Denmark – all of it – in 1:1 scale
Government recreates homeland in 1TB download

By Iain Thomson, 24 Apr 2014

Players of the popular sandbox world Minecraft have a new landscape to roam over, as the Danish government put a representation of the entire Baltic country in 1:1 scale online for download.

"All of Denmark is now a virtual world in the ratio 1:1 inside the Minecraft – thus you can freely move around in Denmark, find your own residential area, to build and tear down as you can in whichever any other Minecraft world," said the Danish ministry of the environment – in a Google Translate download, the country has been split into three sections (north, south, and the Eastern Islands,) with each having its own server.

rest of item here:
http://m.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/24/minecraft_players_can_now_download_denmark_in_11_scale/

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2014, 08:58:50 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 24, 2014, 08:50:13 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2014, 11:13:35 AM
Some guy is listening to what sounds bad romantic balkans pop with lots of high pitched 70s synthesizer, while singing along and missing very note. :bleeding:

10. Bezirk style!

Only two more days and I will betray my working class roots to return to the bourgeois 8th district. :P

Return? Now that there is a Dunkin Donut? :D I didn't know the chain was before seeing one in Frankfurt and I did not visit it.
I'd rather go back to 7Sternbräu...

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on April 24, 2014, 01:47:20 PM

Chicken wings are for those who seek ways to make enjoyable chewing on gristly bits that others rightly throw away.  :P

Ordered some cheesy chicken at a bar once, turned out to be chicken feet!  :yucky:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 24, 2014, 08:12:54 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 24, 2014, 01:47:20 PM

Ordered some cheesy chicken at a bar once, turned out to be chicken feet!  :yucky:

In what way could cheesy chicken ever turn out good?

Capetan Mihali

Tim's of the "put shredded cheese on evreything its so good!!1 :w00t: :mmm:" school of cuisine.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)