And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 24, 2014, 08:06:04 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2014, 04:11:16 AM
It appears Vienna is going to get a Dunkin' Donuts.

Very good cheap coffee.

Also a great deal on donuts they're going to trash late at night.

Don't bet on it. I hear that our Starbucks sucks compared to the U.S. one. Then again our McD is supposedly superior to the American one. I guess you win some, you lose some.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Dunkin coffee isn't particularly evolved, so it would take a bit of ingenuity to screw it up. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

I don't get it. One of the things that is really striking in Europe is that you tend to have a lot of mom and pop pastry shops that are significantly better than the US stuff (like Dunkin Donuts).

I get why McDonald's etc are successful--they are fast, cheap, and serve a niche that isn't already there. But the pastry shops in Europe are already fast and cheap.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2014, 11:13:35 AM
Some guy is listening to what sounds bad romantic balkans pop with lots of high pitched 70s synthesizer, while singing along and missing very note. :bleeding:

10. Bezirk style!

Syt

Quote from: alfred russel on April 24, 2014, 08:49:29 AM

I don't get it. One of the things that is really striking in Europe is that you tend to have a lot of mom and pop pastry shops that are significantly better than the US stuff (like Dunkin Donuts).

I get why McDonald's etc are successful--they are fast, cheap, and serve a niche that isn't already there. But the pastry shops in Europe are already fast and cheap.

That's true - but sometimes it's still nice to go to a Cinnabon instead (though it's rare; they're in distant parts of town for me). :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on April 24, 2014, 08:49:29 AM

Do the mom & pop places serve American-style donuts? 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 24, 2014, 08:50:13 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2014, 11:13:35 AM
Some guy is listening to what sounds bad romantic balkans pop with lots of high pitched 70s synthesizer, while singing along and missing very note. :bleeding:

10. Bezirk style!

Only two more days and I will betray my working class roots to return to the bourgeois 8th district. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Dunkin Donuts have spread a lot since I arrived here.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2014, 08:57:26 AM
Do the mom & pop places serve American-style donuts?

Most bakeries will at least have a chocolate donut. At fairs you will find those mini donut stands that have a little assembly line going on. My supermarket carries chocolate filled donuts. Other flavors are hard to come by, though.

My bakery near work (which is part of one of the three or four major chains here) sells absolutely amazing brownies, though. Rich, thick, moist, with walnuts - it's like an edible orgasm.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

12 hour bus ride. Ughhh.
On the bright side there's nobody in the chair beside me
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2014, 08:57:08 AM
That's true - but sometimes it's still nice to go to a Cinnabon instead (though it's rare; they're in distant parts of town for me). :P

When you absolutely, positively need to get diabetes by the end of the week.  :P

Maybe I'm jsut looking at this from my point of view. CC gave me a bunch of grief when I posted that in Europe my go to place is Subway, with some trips to McDonalds (which I don't visit in the US). But I doubt I'd ever go to a Dunkin Donuts.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2014, 09:02:23 AM
Most bakeries will at least have a chocolate donut. At fairs you will find those mini donut stands that have a little assembly line going on. My supermarket carries chocolate filled donuts. Other flavors are hard to come by, though.

So then there probably is a niche for a place that serves a big variety of donuts.  Local pastries certainly taste better, but Dunkin Donuts is probably banking on them just being something different.

I'm not a big donut guy-- I usually get a bagel when I stop at DD, but my kids go nuts for the silly 'seasonal' donuts they have where the only real difference is the color of icing (orange for Halloween, pink for Valentines Day, green for St. Patricks Day, etc.)

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on April 24, 2014, 09:16:07 AM
When you absolutely, positively need to get diabetes by the end of the week.  :P

You can get half your daily calories & fat from one Cinnabon.  Efficiency!

Josquius

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2014, 09:18:45 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 24, 2014, 09:16:07 AM

You can get half your daily calories & fat from one Cinnabon.  Efficiency!

It's funny how that isn't a selling point in the west anymore
██████
██████
██████