Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Iormlund on April 24, 2014, 10:58:32 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 24, 2014, 10:16:37 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2014, 09:53:44 AM
Well, there's plenty vegetarian places around, too. And instead of hunting one of our four Subway shops, you might just walk into a regular bakery, most of which will also sell sandwiches, salads and more. ;)

I may have a different take on healthy. I need to cram as many calories into myself as possible--salads and vegetarian food doesn't cut it.

Your puny Euro sandwiches don't cut it either. Also, the processed subway bread, while in every tangible way inferior to what is sold in a standard euro bakery, I sort of prefer (I am a barbarian  :(). A foot long sub from subway, with a bag of chips and coke, is a decent sized lunch, fast, cheap, and while not really all that healthy, isn't as bad as it could be.

I don't know about Austria, but pretty much all over Spain you can eat rather well for at most 10€. It should be a crime to go to a fast food joint.

As for portions, if my mate - an ex basketball pro with ridiculously high metabolism - has enough, it should certainly be enough for you.

Just enough Euro scorn with a bit of that holier than thou know it all-ism.

Congrats!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

This Atlantic piece about the origins of office speak has this beauty from a 1987 AT&T manual:

Interaction:
The continuous ability to engage with the connectedness and relatedness that exists and potentially exists, which is essential for the creations necessary to maintain and enhance viability of ourselves and the organization of which we are a part.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 24, 2014, 07:35:07 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 24, 2014, 06:17:50 AM
How?

If the rumors are true & the draft proposition is that. Then ISP & Content providers/Websites will be able to make deals. Faster speed for Comcast propriety on Comcast networks. Want to acces Google? That'll be 10$/month.

This is of course US only but how the US goes, the internet goes.

ah OK. Now I'm mad.  :mad:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

derspiess

I'm not sure the charging $10 for Google thing is anywhere in the proposal.  ISPs would be able to cut deals to allow faster access to certain services, but I don't think there's anything in there that permits them to shut out certain sites altogether unless the end-user ponies up more money. 

I've always been a net neutrality proponent, but the scaremongering has been a bit much.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2014, 12:08:33 PM
I'm not sure the charging $10 for Google thing is anywhere in the proposal.  ISPs would be able to cut deals to allow faster access to certain services, but I don't think there's anything in there that permits them to shut out certain sites altogether unless the end-user ponies up more money. 

I've always been a net neutrality proponent, but the scaremongering has been a bit much.

Yeah in everything that's been discussed ISPs would not be allowed to block any content.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2014, 12:11:10 PM
Yeah in everything that's been discussed ISPs would not be allowed to block any content.

Yeah, but if you prioritize one your favoured search-engine and non-favoured ones experience a lag of a second or two with use, you'll likely see increased use of your favoured engine.

Liep

WOOOOO! :yeah:

Copenhagen Zoo gets to loan some giant pandas from China. I hope they'll name one Marius.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

How long until they're euthanized?

alfred russel

Quote from: The Larch on April 24, 2014, 12:37:33 PM
How long until they're euthanized?

The Chinese were probably like, "They kill exotic animals for little or no reason? They are just like us! Lets give them a panda."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on April 24, 2014, 12:29:54 PM

Yeah, but if you prioritize one your favoured search-engine and non-favoured ones experience a lag of a second or two with use, you'll likely see increased use of your favoured engine.

That's different from walling off sites & charging extra to access them.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2014, 12:44:13 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 24, 2014, 12:29:54 PM

That's different from walling off sites & charging extra to access them.

It is. It's still a pretty significant impediment to free competition on a number of levels.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on April 24, 2014, 12:46:43 PM
It is. It's still a pretty significant impediment to free competition on a number of levels.

Agree that it's an impediment, but not sure how significant.  In the example you gave most users would probably wait through the lag.  If anything they would just assume their ISP is generally slow. 

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2014, 12:56:18 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 24, 2014, 12:46:43 PM

Agree that it's an impediment, but not sure how significant.  In the example you gave most users would probably wait through the lag.  If anything they would just assume their ISP is generally slow.

Over the medium term, I disagree.

I see the scenario playing out like this: Google starts being slow, slower than usual even. It's annoying. One day, for whatever reason (response to an ad, clickbait, someone else using your computer) you try Bing and it's lightning fast. You experiment for a bit, and Bing is consistently faster; you switch to Bing as your default search engine.

Over time, and with masses of users, the (network imposed) difference in quality will alter user behaviour.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on April 24, 2014, 04:46:01 AM
I don't understand chicken wings. Way too little meat on way too much bones.

That is the idea.  Lots of surface area for little meat so perfect for sauces.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."