News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 23, 2014, 11:11:34 AM
Man take my eye of Spacebattles for a few days and the whole forum tears itself apart. What a clusterfuck.

I've seen forum civil wars before (as have we all :lol: ) but they were due to ideological splits. Never seen one explode over sheer incompetence before.
The rebels there have done much better than we did, I'd estimate 1/5th of the userbaser has defected.

Outdone by nerds, we should be so ashamed! ;)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

I have no idea what this is.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on April 23, 2014, 09:53:34 PM
I have no idea what this is.
Commenting on a forum civil war, you don't have to have been there to get the gist of it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

No summary?  What kind of incompetence?  What is Spacebattles?  Is it like stardestroyer.net or something?  Pro-Reagan forum?  I don't know.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 23, 2014, 08:41:03 PM
Net neutrality is about to die :(

Explain this to me, and how it can affect me.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on April 23, 2014, 10:04:14 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 23, 2014, 08:41:03 PM
Net neutrality is about to die :(

Explain this to me, and how it can affect me.

You're going to have to start taking sides.  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on April 23, 2014, 09:57:05 PM
No summary?  What kind of incompetence?  What is Spacebattles?  Is it like stardestroyer.net or something?  Pro-Reagan forum?  I don't know.
A science fiction forum with 85k members, 274k threads and 13.5 million posts. Like stardestroyer.net I guess except not focused on any one thing or being ten years past it's glory days. Lots of vs. threads and fanfiction posted and the like. Way more nerdy than this forum.

Basically the owner is missing in action and three admins rule from on high, and aren't around much. There are a ton of mods and couple of Supermods who manage them. The most respected supermod was Athene (formerly known as Thanatos) a trans woman. For years and years she was the glue holding the forum together.

She was "retired" Saturday. A statement was posted to that affect literally one minute after she got the message she was fired. She didn't know about it until she started getting emails asking why she retired. She was outraged and told the truth. She was fired with no warning, and it basically happened because the admins were clueless and believed the bleatings of a few habitual malcontents that everyone hates, along with, we believe, the most martyesque mod backing them up. I mean, it's just common sense if you're going to claim that employee X retired that you make sure she's on board with that. Or to have plan on what to do if she isn't, like laying out abuse of power #1, 2, 3 etc to make their actions look reasonable. Hell, this came as a complete suprise to the rest of the mods who were just as outraged.

The Admins has you'd expect didn't back down, or even make the smallest attempt to justify their actions. Their authority has been threatened so they're doubling down. So now nearly 90% of the active members hate them and about 20% (over 1300 in two days) have moved over to a new forum Sufficient Velocity. I expect that SV will eventually triumph because of the afforementionated absente owner. Spacebattles desperately needs to be moved to a new server and can have tremendous lag. A lot of features like Search have been turned off permanently to reduce lag. So, given such a large foundation I expect that more and more people will eventually move over to SV.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

I see.  That is pretty inept stewardship.
Kinemalogue

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Syt

It appears Vienna is going to get a Dunkin' Donuts.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Krispy Kreme is better. Well, not for your teeth.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Beggars can't be choosers. Currently they're looking for franchisees.

I hope it's not going to be as anemic as KFC's attempt here. They re-booted in 2005, and at the moment they have a whopping 4 restaurants in Vienna. And their selection is weak. This is their menu:

http://www.kfc.co.at/new/alacarte.pdf
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2014, 04:16:15 AM
Beggars can't be choosers. Currently they're looking for franchisees.

I hope it's not going to be as anemic as KFC's attempt here. They re-booted in 2005, and at the moment they have a whopping 4 restaurants in Vienna. And their selection is weak. This is their menu:

http://www.kfc.co.at/new/alacarte.pdf

Weird. I'd have thought with all the Muslims there KFC would do well
██████
██████
██████