The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2014, 05:01:55 PM
Yes!

And we had a seder plate with the egg, bitter herb, and lamb-bone on it, dipped our veggies in salt water twice, hid the piece of mazoh, and set out the glass of wine for the Prophet Elijah to drink.  ;)

Elijah gets pretty hammered on Passover.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 14, 2014, 05:11:25 PM
Did you put a loonie in with the afikoman for him?

Four quarters.  :yes:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on April 14, 2014, 05:32:20 PM
http://judaism.about.com/od/holidayssabbath/f/elijah_wine.htm

:hmm:

In reality, when there are young kids about, the adults send 'em to the door to check if the prophet Elijah has turned up, and drink the cup when they aren't looking. No-one pours the wine back into the bottle - yuck.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2014, 05:41:24 PM
No-one pours the wine back into the bottle - yuck.  :lol:

Wouldn't want to spoil that purple drank? ;-)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2014, 09:21:27 AMYes, but at the time, if he hadn't converted, he could not have been PM - the office required an oath on one's faith as a Christian. Of course, everyone considered him basically a Jew, because of his ancestry (himself included).
Sorry. The first time it sounded like you were saying he converted to become an MP. While it was his dad's decision as part of a decade long argument with his local synagogue :lol:

It's interesting how similar the difficulties Lionel de Rothschild had taking his seat are to Charles Bradlaugh as the first atheist MP.

But I think his self-perception and that of those around him matters more than whether he was actually Jewish or not and on any measure he has at least as good a claim as Ed Miliband :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Christians invented this guy who comes down a chimney and leaves gifts

Way better religion.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Britain, 'somewhat proud':
QuoteIs Britain suffering a crisis of patriotic feeling? According to the latest British Social Attitudes survey, only 35% of Brits are now willing to say they are "very proud" to be British, down from 43% a decade ago. Another 47%, however, say they are "somewhat proud", which is an increase from last time.
Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on April 14, 2014, 05:42:57 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2014, 05:41:24 PM
No-one pours the wine back into the bottle - yuck.  :lol:

Wouldn't want to spoil that purple drank? ;-)

:yes::mmm:

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 14, 2014, 06:04:05 PM
Britain, 'somewhat proud':
QuoteIs Britain suffering a crisis of patriotic feeling? According to the latest British Social Attitudes survey, only 35% of Brits are now willing to say they are "very proud" to be British, down from 43% a decade ago. Another 47%, however, say they are "somewhat proud", which is an increase from last time.

Why would one be proud to live in a country which has failed them utterly and which they are witnessing fall apart in real time?  Especially when in living memory it was one of the three or four best countries in the world.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

As soon as you elect a black PM the other 10% will finally feel proud too.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Ah, Corrupticut.  From the NYT:

QuoteDiscussing how it came to be that the former governor became involved in the same race in which the man who had investigated him was running, William Mastrogiovanni Jr., a Clark supporter who was chairman of Farmington's Republican Town Committee, said, "The problem is the state is too small, and everyone knows everyone and that makes some of this inevitable." Another contributing factor, he said, was the part-time status of state legislators, which means "people always have other jobs."

"So you're either an attorney or a union official or you just live with your mom," Mr. Mastrogiovanni continued.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney