News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2014, 11:53:11 AM
This stuff doesn't have to make sense. Why are those born from Jewish mothers considered Jews by the Orthodox, but not those born from Jewish dads?

It's just "the rules".

Someone feels left out.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Shame Carl won't get to have a bar mitzvah.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on April 14, 2014, 01:47:50 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2014, 11:53:11 AM
This stuff doesn't have to make sense. Why are those born from Jewish mothers considered Jews by the Orthodox, but not those born from Jewish dads?

It's just "the rules".

Someone feels left out.

Fortunately, I'm from the Reform tradition.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 14, 2014, 01:50:37 PM

Not an Orthodox one anyway. Not that this was ever likely.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2014, 02:01:44 PM

I'm pretty sure your in-laws would have a stroke if you proposed that. :shifty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2014, 02:02:30 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2014, 02:01:44 PM

I'm pretty sure your in-laws would have a stroke if you proposed that. :shifty:

Fiendishly clever!  :menace:

Only problem is, there is no wringer I could put my in-laws through that my sister in law's husband hasn't already topped, with his drunken drugged thuggery.  :(

Josephus

Happy Passover Malthus.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on April 14, 2014, 02:51:35 PM
Happy Passover Malthus.

Thanks!

Did the seder last night, as my parents are going away.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2014, 02:54:52 PM
Happy Passover Malthus.

Thanks!

Did Carl ask the questions? :)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

derspiess

I bet it warms the hearts of our resident Languish Jews that all our gentile politicians are wishing you all a Happy Passover :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

They should be saying Happy Spring Holiday.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Josephus on April 14, 2014, 03:25:44 PM
They should be saying Happy Spring Holiday.

War on Passover.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

I get passed over every year it seems.

Malthus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 14, 2014, 03:11:54 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2014, 02:54:52 PM
Happy Passover Malthus.

Thanks!

Did Carl ask the questions? :)

Yes!

And we had a seder plate with the egg, bitter herb, and lamb-bone on it, dipped our veggies in salt water twice, hid the piece of mazoh, and set out the glass of wine for the Prophet Elijah to drink.  ;)

Capetan Mihali

Did you put a loonie in with the afikoman for him?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)