News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Ipod, the Pyramids of our time. :weep:  So the Ipad's the Sphinx?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on March 25, 2014, 09:02:44 AM
Cleopatra lived closer to the construction of the first ipod than the great pyramids.
Makes sense when you think about it.
But still.
Wow.

I'm not up on my ancient history as much as the rest of you, but that one didn't faze me much. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on March 25, 2014, 09:02:44 AM
Cleopatra lived closer to the construction of the first ipod than the great pyramids.
Makes sense when you think about it.
But still.
Wow.

Heh, the builders of the great pyramids lived closer - by far - to the makers of the iPod than the builders of the first known monumental architecture.  :D

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gobekli-tepe-the-worlds-first-temple-83613665/?no-ist
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

I actually thought of posting that (though I was going to say Gilgamesh), but then I decided not to, since whose to say that despite that gap in time he might be closer in mentality to the builders of Gobekli Tepe than modern men.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2014, 10:05:10 AM
I actually thought of posting that (though I was going to say Gilgamesh), but then I decided not to, since whose to say that despite that gap in time he might be closer in mentality to the builders of Gobekli Tepe than modern men.

And then in the end you posted it anyway. Normally we just get Tim points of view in non news article posts, but this time we also got Tim internal monologue.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Icraps don't last 4,500 years.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

We know very little about the mentality of either the builders of Gobekli Tepe or the Great Pyramids. However, given that the former were built before the development of agriculture, I'm willing to bet that the latter were closer in mentality to us - they lived in a state, with a ruler and a complex bureaucrasy, all supported by agriculture - none of which was true of the builders of Gobekli Tepe, as far as we know. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Why is the ruler important? :huh:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Since we're talking about an age undreamed of, I'm going to assume the name of the builder of the Great Pyramids was Thulsa Doom.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on March 25, 2014, 10:21:43 AM

What else are the nuns supposed to hit you with? Keyboards?

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2014, 10:27:00 AM
Since we're talking about an age undreamed of, I'm going to assume the name of the builder of the Great Pyramids was Thulsa Doom.

Almost as good - Khnum-Khufu  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khufu

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 25, 2014, 10:29:20 AM

Just as long as they hit him. Frequently.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: alfred russel on March 25, 2014, 10:15:12 AM

And then in the end you posted it anyway. Normally we just get Tim points of view in non news article posts, but this time we also got Tim internal monologue.
:lol:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Beenherebefore

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 25, 2014, 10:29:20 AM

Their beards.
The artist formerly known as Norgy