Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2013, 12:07:01 PM
Was in a management meeting this morning and one newly-anointed supervisor said "documentate".  She said it more than once.  Bugged the shit out of me for the rest of the meeting, and it was one of those wonderful non-productive two-hour ones.

Did you do as she suggested and documentate her poor performance?

The Brain

Don't documentate the player.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 21, 2013, 11:02:55 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 21, 2013, 10:50:55 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 21, 2013, 10:46:10 AM
Quote from: Caliga on November 21, 2013, 07:58:17 AM
I'm sure he was referencing ordering Chinese food.  Over here at least, it's common to order by number (since white devils are afraid to try to pronounce the Chinese name of dishes).

It's not that "white devils" can't pronounce it - they prefer you to order by number.  You can say "I'd like the chicken chow mein" and they'll reply "Okay, one #17".

I have never ordered by number and I have never had my server say "okay #x"

makes me wonder who "they" are

People who work at stereotypical chinese take-out places.

I'll concede that the chinese restaurant Jacob took you and I out to didn't seem like the kind of place where they had numbers on the menu, but I've been to dozens of "chinese restaurants" that operated on exactly that principle.

It's common in dim sum places to just be handed a list and a pencil, and check off what you want.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 21, 2013, 12:16:46 PM
It's common in dim sum places to just be handed a list and a pencil, and check off what you want.

I like the places where the carts just come around and you pick and choose as they come by.  That way I dont have to remember all the names.

The Brain

It's not the place that's dim.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 21, 2013, 12:08:59 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2013, 12:07:01 PM
Was in a management meeting this morning and one newly-anointed supervisor said "documentate".  She said it more than once.  Bugged the shit out of me for the rest of the meeting, and it was one of those wonderful non-productive two-hour ones.

Did you do as she suggested and documentate her poor performance?

Yeah, I've kinda been doing that for a while :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

I look forward to hearing about the inevitable EEOC lawsuit.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on November 21, 2013, 12:16:46 PM

The dim sum places I've been the list and pencil are for the servers to keep track of what you've already eaten.

Caliga

My experience has been that they usually give you a card and stamp some Chinese characters on it each time you take something off the tray, which I assume correlates with the dish that you took or its cost.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on November 21, 2013, 12:59:42 PM
My experience has been that they usually give you a card and stamp some Chinese characters on it each time you take something off the tray, which I assume correlates with the dish that you took or its cost.

Either that, or they mean things like "charge double" and "was rude to waitress".
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 21, 2013, 01:08:04 PM
Either that, or they mean things like "charge double" and "was rude to waitress".

"This guy's zipper was down the whole meal."

"This lady's breath makes me want to vomit."

lustindarkness

Just had me some "Turron Duro de Almendra"  :licklips:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom