News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on November 19, 2013, 12:54:23 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2013, 12:51:57 PM
My wife says she doesn't care about the difference between HD and standard def, and I think she says it just to piss me off.
Do you think Blu-Ray movies look better than DVD movies?  I'm in the middle of building a new PC and decided to skip including a Blu-Ray drive (for now, at least).

If the competition is between Blu-Ray and upscaled DVDs, I'm not sure Blu-Ray is a winner.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2013, 12:56:09 PM
Absolutely.
To the point that it's worth it to have a Blu-Ray setup?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

QuoteHusband of Katherine Harris kills himself, police say
From John Murgatroyd and Jamie Morrison, CNN

updated 12:31 PM EST, Tue November 19, 2013

(CNN) -- The husband of former Florida congresswoman and Secretary of State Katherine Harris was found dead Tuesday morning, apparently by his own hand, Sarasota police and the family's pastor said.

Anders Ebbesen, 68, had been ill, "but it is unknown if that is why he took his own life," Pastor William Hild, of the First Baptist Church of Sarasota, said in a statement released by Sarasota police. "The family is asking for privacy, prayers, thoughts and love from the community."

The nature of Ebbesen's illness was not disclosed, but Sarasota Police Chief Bernadette DiPino added that Harris "wanted the community, her family and friends to know that her husband is no longer suffering."

Police were called to the couple's bayfront home around 7:30 a.m. to investigate a reported suicide, Sarasota police spokeswoman Genevieve Judge said. Hild said Ebbeson died of a self-inflicted gunshot.

Harris became a national lightning rod during the bitterly fought Florida recount that capped the 2000 presidential race. She was the co-chair of George W. Bush's campaign in Florida and oversaw the state's vote tally as secretary of state, eventually certifying the Republican as the winner by 537 votes over his Democratic rival, Vice President Al Gore.

The Florida Supreme Court ordered a statewide recount of disputed ballots, but the U.S. Supreme Court brought a halt to further recounts, paving the way for Bush to become president. Harris won a seat in the House of Representatives in 2002, serving two terms before running unsuccessfully for U.S. Senate in 2006.
Heavens to Murgatroyd!  How will Queen Ester's husband get into heaven now? :(

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on November 19, 2013, 12:57:25 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2013, 12:56:09 PM
Absolutely.
To the point that it's worth it to have a Blu-Ray setup?

Not on your computer. Stream baby, Stream.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

So what I'm thinking of doing is this: once I finish building my new PC, I'm thinking of building an entertainment center in the living room and moving the old PC in there as a media server, at which point I was thinking of putting the Blu-Ray drive into it.

Grey Fox

Now that's a good idea.

Altho, buying a PS3 might be cheaper at this point. How much are blu-ray drives?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

What would you put in the drive?  Are you really going to get any blu ray disks?

We watch everything through either pay for view or netflixs now.

Caliga

I guess another question is: are movies on Blu-Ray somehow better than movies you would d/l from say Netflix?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 19, 2013, 11:12:01 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 18, 2013, 06:11:36 PM
Martin Bashir apologizes for saying somebody should shit in Sarah Palin's mouth.

Brits.  :rolleyes:
You keep him and Piers Morgan. We'll keep Madonna :(

Or re-gift them to Canada.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2013, 12:56:15 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 19, 2013, 12:54:23 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2013, 12:51:57 PM
My wife says she doesn't care about the difference between HD and standard def, and I think she says it just to piss me off.
Do you think Blu-Ray movies look better than DVD movies?  I'm in the middle of building a new PC and decided to skip including a Blu-Ray drive (for now, at least).

If the competition is between Blu-Ray and upscaled DVDs, I'm not sure Blu-Ray is a winner.

To me eyes, they seem noticeably better.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 19, 2013, 01:05:18 PM
Now that's a good idea.

Altho, buying a PS3 might be cheaper at this point. How much are blu-ray drives?

My first cost 200. I replaced it two years later with one that cost 60 and had much better quality and features.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, there are better stand-alone Blu-Rays out there that are less expensive than the PS3, which wasn't exactly a top-of-the-line Blu-Ray when it came out in the first place.  It's passable, though.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on November 19, 2013, 01:19:14 PM
I guess another question is: are movies on Blu-Ray somehow better than movies you would d/l from say Netflix?

Even at 1080p Netflix applies a fairly strong compression.  You can definitely notice a difference in quality.

HOWEVER...

Does that difference in quality make up for the ridiculous ease of watching something on Netflix?  I don't think so.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

As long as you realize your cable provider isn't giving you anywhere close to that kind of quality with the video compression through their pipes.