News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 15, 2013, 10:35:08 AM
Edit: And frankly if you avoid demonstrations in France you're missing a chunk of the country and a lot of the fun.

I haven't been to France, but I got a kick out of the far left demonstration I saw in Amsterdam.  Most Americans would've been repulsed by the Bush=Hitler/Devil signs, various on hammer/sickle flags, and contemptuous middle-aged commies mumbling slogans without taking the cigarette out of their mouths-- but I ate it up. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 15, 2013, 07:31:28 AM
No idea if it's true, but it's still funny.  :lol:

When I was in Poland there was the following sign on the bus, the exact wording might be slightly different:

QuoteIt is forbidden to consume alcoholic beverages while on the bus.
We must remember that beer is considered an alcoholic beverage.

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on November 15, 2013, 10:43:47 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 15, 2013, 10:35:08 AM
Edit: And frankly if you avoid demonstrations in France you're missing a chunk of the country and a lot of the fun.

I haven't been to France, but I got a kick out of the far left demonstration I saw in Amsterdam.  Most Americans would've been repulsed by the Bush=Hitler/Devil signs, various on hammer/sickle flags, and contemptuous middle-aged commies mumbling slogans without taking the cigarette out of their mouths-- but I ate it up.

But when I do it, you call the cops.  What gives?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on November 15, 2013, 10:29:31 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2013/11/14/16-american-cities-foreign-governments-warn-their-citizens-about//?print=1

Can't really argue with any of this.

Heh.  The area that is a no-go zone in St. Louis is where my dad is from and a lot my family lives.  Still, it's good advice.  I don't think you'd want to run into some of my family. :lol:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Chuck Norris would know better than to be seen in public in a knitted tie.

The Brain

He played with toy soldiers. Get off his case.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

What?  You got something against cats now? :unsure:
Kinemalogue

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

:(

I assumed you were going to make fun of my great futon or something.
Kinemalogue

Syt

Jacqueline Kennedy's Smart Pink Suit, Preserved in Memory and Kept Out of View

Meanwhile in Austria:
QuoteOne of the most notable parts of the museum's collection is located in the First World War hall, and relates to the assassination of the Archduke Francis Ferdinand. On display are the car in which the Archduke and his wife were riding when they were assassinated, the uniform he was wearing, the pistol used by Gavrilo Princip to shoot him, and the chaise longue on which he was declared dead.

This year there was an exhibition about Emperor Maximilian of Mexico which featured the suit in which he was shot. Viennese are ghoulish that way. The Zentralfriedhof, one of the largest cemeteries in the world, is also a noted park, and the Emperors' Crypt is a popular tourist spot.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

At the Royal Armoury in Stockholm they keep the "death clothes" (if you will) of Gustavus Adolphus and Charles XII, and the clothes that Gustav III wore in 1792 when he was shot by men in black at a masked ball at the Stockholm opera (he later died from the wound).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Threviel

Quote from: Syt on November 16, 2013, 03:27:14 AM
Jacqueline Kennedy's Smart Pink Suit, Preserved in Memory and Kept Out of View

Meanwhile in Austria:
QuoteOne of the most notable parts of the museum's collection is located in the First World War hall, and relates to the assassination of the Archduke Francis Ferdinand. On display are the car in which the Archduke and his wife were riding when they were assassinated, the uniform he was wearing, the pistol used by Gavrilo Princip to shoot him, and the chaise longue on which he was declared dead.

This year there was an exhibition about Emperor Maximilian of Mexico which featured the suit in which he was shot. Viennese are ghoulish that way. The Zentralfriedhof, one of the largest cemeteries in the world, is also a noted park, and the Emperors' Crypt is a popular tourist spot.

That was the coolest museum visit ever. I hadn't checked up on the military history museum beforehand, s I had no idea what to expect. The feeling when I entered the room where the car stands and it slowly dawned on me what car it was. Awesome museum. The model of Viribus Unitis was wonderful too.