And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

DerDecker Unit and 11V'ger must be One.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 12, 2013, 09:25:28 PM
Your repetition and overuse of the  :lol: smiley makes me begin to wonder if you and derspiess didn't suddenly become one being or something, like a Teabagger version of the end of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
Maybe he's just a moron?  Why immediately jump to the worst possible conclusion?

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on November 12, 2013, 09:38:22 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 12, 2013, 09:25:28 PM
Your repetition and overuse of the  :lol: smiley makes me begin to wonder if you and derspiess didn't suddenly become one being or something, like a Teabagger version of the end of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
Maybe he's just a moron?  Why immediately jump to the worst possible conclusion?

That's what Seedy does. But, he's not a moron.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

Does anyone know, what is is 'LOM'?
I saw on a job ad- Please send your resume and LOM.
Is it American for cover letter?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on November 13, 2013, 12:16:17 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_letter

"Letter of Motivation"

And no, we typically would say cover letter.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Its my first full 2 days off for a long while.
I feel....relaxed. Got very little actually done. :blush:

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2013, 12:22:58 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 13, 2013, 12:16:17 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_letter

"Letter of Motivation"

And no, we typically would say cover letter.
Thanks.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

"Letter of Motivation" sounds as pretentiously European as using "C.V." outside of academia.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 13, 2013, 07:48:41 AM
"Letter of Motivation" sounds as pretentiously European as using "C.V." outside of academia.

Same here: "Motivationsschreiben"

You will hear "CV" thrown around more often these days (I doubt most people know what it stands for), but "Lebenslauf" is still the more common word for it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 13, 2013, 07:48:41 AM

Eh, using French is no less pretentious than using Latin.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Résumé sounds far more pretentious than see-vee. If people said the full curriculum vitae than that would be a different matter.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

In Quebec, it's C.V.

Using résumé makes no sense, it's a verb, not a noun.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on November 13, 2013, 08:16:34 AM
Résumé sounds far more pretentious than see-vee. If people said the full curriculum vitae than that would be a different matter.

Resume is in so much common practice in the US, half these mutts wouldn't know it was French.  And saying curriculum vitae is much more pretentious.

Josquius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 13, 2013, 08:24:44 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 13, 2013, 08:16:34 AM

Resume is in so much common practice in the US, half these mutts wouldn't know it was French.  And saying curriculum vitae is much more pretentious.
Most people (even a lot of educated folks I'd wager) have no idea thats what CV stands for.
A CV is just a CV.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

It's just whatever you're used to.