News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: katmai on October 24, 2013, 10:02:27 PM
How does one forget to renew their license?!?!

Bin all official correspondence without opening it ? :unsure:

Our stuff comes with dire warning that you'll be find like 2,000 quid if you don't renew or give it up. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Interesting, how the Confederate heartland often seems to do their own thing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Jose?  Angel?  SAM HUNTINGTON WAS RIGHT
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

Fuckin'A William is popular in the states too! :x

New CTO of Teledyne Technologies is going to be a Dutch national.

Obama?!?!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 24, 2013, 10:22:46 PM

Our stuff comes with dire warning that you'll be find like 2,000 quid if you don't renew or give it up. 

But they list when they expire on the card.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

It does?
:ph34r:
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on October 25, 2013, 07:37:40 AM

It does?
:ph34r:

Yes, I recently had to renew my photo licence, the other option was to choose to give it up.  You can't just let it lapse and later on get a replacement, I think you'd actually have to sit a new driving test.

Online renewal.
https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2013, 09:15:19 PM
So I'm using this online course for free to practice French and German.

If you enter "comment dit-on...en français?" that is an acceptable answer but in German "wie sagt man...auf deutsch?" is not acceptable as the ellipsis should not touch the words when typing. Ugh.

Is it Livemocha?  I used that to learn a little Italian & Russian. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I can speak foreigner.

HEY WAITER, BRING SOME MORE FOOD. CHOP CHOP.

derspiess

Ed likes having his food dropped on the floor in the kitchen.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 25, 2013, 08:37:17 AM

The pungent, nutty aroma of asscrack sweat really livens up any of the meat dishes.

Ed Anger

It goes well with the European foot cheeses.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on October 25, 2013, 08:34:14 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2013, 09:15:19 PM
So I'm using this online course for free to practice French and German.

If you enter "comment dit-on...en français?" that is an acceptable answer but in German "wie sagt man...auf deutsch?" is not acceptable as the ellipsis should not touch the words when typing. Ugh.

Is it Livemocha?  I used that to learn a little Italian & Russian. 

Nah, I've been using memrise.com. I like all this automated software that only makes you repeat things if you fail them so you don't have to learn "merci" over and over again. :D

That said it does have some flaws in that sometimes it is hard to guess at the proper pronunciation as they have different speakers who speak slightly differently. Also, but again it is free, but sometimes there will be odd cut offs of sound so though "sprichst du deutsch?" is recording fully, the individual "deutsch" sounds like "deu" on the recording.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on October 25, 2013, 08:37:17 AM

I know how to act overseas.

In France, just chill. Eventually they will get to you. Unless you are in a chain restaurant, where American style service has been sorta beaten into them. Sorta.