News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

I brought you into this world, I'll take you out.

Admiral Yi

Napoleonic re-enactment sounds like more fun than ACW re-enactment.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

The thing is, if you mention the word "history" in Germany, in 90+% of the cases the immediate mental image would be the Third Reich. I would be very surprised if 10% of Germans knew of the Battle of Nations or its context.

"Die Lehren aus unserer Geschichte" (the lessons from our history) is an expression that you'll hear often when the debate comes to German military action or taking a strong stand against (real or imagined) imperialist tendencies.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2013, 12:23:41 PM
Most popular names for baby girls in the U.S. by year. The 70s were the Decade of Jennifer. :unsure:

1960- Mary.
Wonder why it dissapeared so hugely. I've never met a young Mary.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on October 21, 2013, 12:44:15 AM
1960- Mary.

It's been pretty hip and cool to hate on Holy Mother Church the last couple decades.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2013, 06:30:28 AM

Huh.
:hmm: They may have called that one a little prematurely.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 20, 2013, 11:59:59 PM
Napoleonic re-enactment sounds like more fun than ACW re-enactment.
Any particular reason? I'd think they'd be pretty similar.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Most popular names for baby girls in the U.S. by year. The 70s were the Decade of Jennifer. :unsure:

1960- Mary.

My little sis is named Mary.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

1960- Mary.

:glare:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Savonarola

There are three types of people in this world: those who don't know what happened; those who wondered what happened ; and Swedes with mackerels who make things happen.

QuoteWoman batters sleepy Swede with mackerel

The incident has left the police feeling a bit codsmacked after the bizarre tale was reported. According to the police report the man was sound asleep in his apartment when the fishy assault took place, according to the local Södermanlands Nyheter newspaper

His peaceful nap was rudely interrupted when the woman smacked him across the face with a mackerel. Unsurprisingly, the man woke up but the battering wasn't enough to send him to sleep with the fishes so he filed a report to the police instead.

In addition to the mackerel attack he alleged that the woman had pinched food from his fridge and also stolen 2,000 ($310) kronor from him. It remains unclear how the woman entered his apartment to deliver his late night snack attack.

The two people, who are both in their 60s, are understood to be known to each other.

"They might live together sometimes," Mikael Larsson of the Nyköping police told the paper.

A preliminary investigation is already underway with the mackerel attack currently classified as assault.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on October 21, 2013, 08:09:04 AM

Don't take it personally, most of the parents naming their kids something else never even met you.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

I know which section to hang out at B&N now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 21, 2013, 08:33:21 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 21, 2013, 08:09:04 AM

Don't take it personally, most of the parents naming their kids something else never even met you.  :P

It was the "I've never met a young person named Mary" that got me. :glare:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on October 21, 2013, 08:51:15 AM
It was the "I've never met a young person named Mary" that got me. :glare:

:lol:

There are no young people on Languish.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?