News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2013, 06:57:29 AM
Yeah, it does.  One night I picked up a book and couldn't focus up close;  thought something was wrong with me or that I was having a reaction to medication or something.  Turns out I'm just old.

It's the reading in the dark bit that kills me. I used to be able to read in fairly dim lighting, but now, if there's not at least a 60w bulb streaming down on my book, fuhgeddabowdit.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 09, 2013, 08:19:50 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 09, 2013, 07:50:42 AM
How do you call, in English, the silly tourist souvenirs you can buy, like fridge magnets with the town on it and such, and where would I go to find locally relevant ones in the UK? Gift shops?
Gift shop works. As Mongers says either London (near any train station, the Strand, Leicester Square) or a touristy site.

Thanks. I was planning with "surely there must be something in this town" and I guess there is, but I haven`t found it (nothing interesting here I suppose), and now the clock is ticking for my weekend visit home. Bah!

Ed Anger

Look for fat, loud Americans.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

When I was around Euston station I even noticed a lot of otherwise regular newsagents had gift-tat corners.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 09, 2013, 03:20:16 AM
Homeless man finds $40,000 and turns it into police.

Online fundraiser raised $150,000 to reward him. ^_^

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/04/glen-james-gets-huge-reward_n_4045720.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000010

What a terrible ROI.  No wonder he's homeless.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Ide's in a shitty mood. Quick! 300 CC's of peanut butter cups! STAT!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ideologue on October 09, 2013, 08:35:18 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 09, 2013, 03:20:16 AM
Homeless man finds $40,000 and turns it into police.

Online fundraiser raised $150,000 to reward him. ^_^

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/04/glen-james-gets-huge-reward_n_4045720.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000010

What a terrible ROI.  No wonder he's homeless.

Showed up for work but was laid off?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Brazen

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 09, 2013, 08:19:50 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 09, 2013, 07:50:42 AM
How do you call, in English, the silly tourist souvenirs you can buy, like fridge magnets with the town on it and such, and where would I go to find locally relevant ones in the UK? Gift shops?
Gift shop works. As Mongers says either London (near any train station, the Strand, Leicester Square) or a touristy site.
Tat?

There's a few tourist shops round where I work in Bayswater.

If you do run out of time, you can usually pick some stuff up at the airport.

Or for quality stuff, buy online from the museums like Museum of London or London Transport Museum. The TFL shop has some good stuff that's not too overpriced: http://shop.tfl.gov.uk/home.html

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2013, 10:03:46 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2013, 09:52:14 AM
Airport souvenir prices :bleeding:

= regular New York prices.

There are cheap souvenir shops everywhere if you look hard enough.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2013, 10:04:23 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2013, 10:03:46 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2013, 09:52:14 AM
Airport souvenir prices :bleeding:

= regular New York prices.

There are cheap souvenir shops everywhere if you look hard enough.

Looking hard for souvenir shops sounds awful.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.