News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on September 17, 2013, 04:43:07 PM
Back when I used to drive through the little towns across the NY/NJ border on my way to my parents' house in Warwick, there were 2 or 3 towns (Tuxedo was one of them) where the speed limit was like 25 and you damned well drove that. Probably made more than half their budget from speeding tickets.

There's a town next to Pensacola (forget the name) where every single car is doing 24.  It looks like NASCAR during a caution.

DGuller

Back when I used to drive through the little towns across the NY/NJ border on my way to my parents' house in Warwick, there were 2 or 3 towns (Tuxedo was one of them) where the speed limit was like 25 and you damned well drove that. Probably made more than half their budget from speeding tickets.
Yeah, if I drive through a small town, I automatically assume it's a speed trap, especially if it has suspiciously low speed limits.  I should've clarified that I was talking about the freeways patrolled by NJ State Police, which has a generally solid reputation when it comes to speed limit enforcement.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2013, 05:14:21 PM

There's a town next to Pensacola (forget the name) where every single car is doing 24.  It looks like NASCAR during a caution.

Century?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2013, 06:13:55 PM
Century?

Doesn't ring a bell.  Right across the long bridge on the way to Destin.

edit: On the way from Pensacola to the nearest beach, wherever that is.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Damn, I must be an annoying c**t at times.   <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

mongers

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on September 17, 2013, 02:01:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2013, 01:52:01 PM:ike:

Well, to be fair to Harper he's not much of a neocon and he's been pretty fiscally responsible so far. He hasn't gone and privatized Canada Post or the Medicare or otherwise handed over the nation's revenues to his buddies in private enterprise.

He's still got a couple years on his mandate ;)

actually, this morning on my 90 min commute I was actually pondering how quiet Harper's been and how great it is to live in canada where even the conservatives are tolerable.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2013, 03:45:53 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2013, 03:42:34 PM
How much over were you?

I thought it was totally cool in Canada that they have mongo signs on the highway explicitly stating that speeding fines don't start until you're 20 klicks over the posted speed limit.  I tried to keep it at 119 the whole time.

:huh:

Not doubting you, but never seen that before.

Yeah...me either...It is defacto true. You won't get a ticket if you're doing up to 20km over the limit (on a highway), but I've never actually seen that posted. "Speed limit is 100, but we don't care if you do 120"
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Phillip V on September 17, 2013, 05:11:43 PM
We need self-driving cars so that county/municipal governments go bankrupt. :yes:

They'll make it up some other way:

"Green tax $250/yr,"

mongers

Now if that isn't an sodding omen I don't know what one is:

Wedding delayed as ring-bearing owl goes for a sleep

A wedding service was delayed when an owl bearing rings fell asleep in the church roof.

Darcy the barn owl was meant to fly down the aisle at Holy Cross Church in Sherston, Wiltshire, and deliver rings to Sonia Cadman and Andrew Matley.

Instead the one-year-old owl flew into the church roof to roost. It took about an hour to get her down.

Reverend Christopher Bryan said: "We tried all we could to get it down but it just wouldn't budge.

The ring-bearing owl had to be rescued with a ladder from the church rafters

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-24131275

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2013, 03:52:09 PM
Speesh: no sympathy for 20 over in a construction zone.

To be fair, the "construction" around here (and where he drove through) isn't really construction in the conventional sense. Picture a whole lot of orange cones blocking off a lane... and that's it. No work. No workers. No machines. Nada. Just.... down to one lane using orange cones. And signs.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on September 17, 2013, 06:26:12 PM
Damn, I must be an annoying c**t at times.   <_<

I never think so. :hug:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...