News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on September 14, 2013, 10:00:53 AM
Ironically, I've never been on a functioning aircraft.

This could explain your romantic view of airpower. :hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on September 16, 2013, 08:39:10 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 14, 2013, 10:00:53 AM
Ironically, I've never been on a functioning aircraft.

This could explain your romantic view of airpower. :hmm:

I had a B-17 flying over my house all day Saturday.  They had an event where you could fly a pretend mission as a crew member from a local airport.  Sounds fun as hell, but I can think of other things I'd rather do with the $450 :bleeding:

http://www.cincinnatiwarbirds.org/bomberdays.html
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

450 dollars to take a joyride on a 60 years old plane? Wow

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on September 16, 2013, 09:03:21 AM
450 dollars to take a joyride on a 60 years old plane? Wow

Yeah.  I'd actually be in for a hundred or so, but at $450 I'd rather save my money & go up to the Air Force museum and play make-believe.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Years ago, we spent about $250 to give Dad a 30 minute ride in a big ol' T-6 Texan for his birthday.  Loved it.

CountDeMoney

garbon

Who cares? The majority also likes honey boo boo and wife swap.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadImmortalMan

So when I got home from my travels I had some membership cards from AARP in the mailbox.  :wacko:

They got my birthday right but not my age.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Hang on to the card.  Now you can use it to get a Senior Sprite at Wendy's! :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on September 16, 2013, 02:58:24 PM
Hang on to the card.  Now you can use it to get a Senior Sprite at Wendy's! :showoff:

Is that fortified with a multivitamin?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

OK, why is my WiFi signal "low" and yet if I move the laptop 3/4 inch to the left (away from the router) it improves markedly to "Very Good" ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi