News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2013, 10:54:05 PMDepends what was she so inspired about?
The whole 'keep going' riff and a successful woman in probably the most visible field in the world.

QuoteAlso, I think the inspiration bit is hard to tease out. I mean let's say we have a killer who claims he was inspired by listening to a song.  Did the music really inspire his thoughts to kill or is that just a fig leaf as he had the desire to kill all along? Or was it that he was 90% on the way to murder and the song get him that last 10%? Probably hard to know.
Probably hard to know. I think that'd be an issue for psychiatrists. I think the fair description is the one you gave, that they 'claim to be inspired by...'

QuoteI don't know though that it would be a good idea for you or I to say that the killer was inspired by the song as that suddenly conflates his act with that piece of music. Or in other words what happens when we have a school shooting and the media goes on about the killer liking violent video games.
Generally I agree, but I'd note that the school shooting thing and violent video games tend to be the media searching for a reason or certain pressure groups who want to censor video games pushing their agenda. I think if the killer says it then we can say they were inspired by, or claim to be inspired by something. If it is you or me saying it then chances are we've got an axe to grind.

QuoteI think it is problematic to say that Ho was inspired by Jefferson because in saying that, it suggests some sort of connection to what America did and what Ho did. Now of course it depends on one's point of view on America, but it would generally seem to suggest some sort of rehabilitation of Ho. After all, he liked Jefferson so he couldn't be such a bad guy.
Well I think there is a connection. I've mentioned it several times - war of independence, against a great power and, at the start at least, Paris Peace Conferences. Given that I don't think it's implausible for Ho to have seen Jefferson as an inspiration even if he wanted a drastically different revolution.

To me it seems the point it's making is, isn't history funny sometimes.

But as I say I think ideas, well expressed, and myth-moments in history have a life of their own and they end up being interpreted in all sorts of ways and inspiring all sorts of people, good and bad. I mean look at the poor German Romantics.

QuoteLike I said, I don't understand the distinction.
Simply, I think it's between emulation and inspiration. One's following another's model, the other's subjective - using another's model for sustenance and inspiration (really the only word I can think of to go here).

QuoteYeah, Yi's shifting the goalposts here. Yi. Do you leftists ever listen to yourselves?
We were talking about inspiration. Then Yi started saying why someone may say a person was inspired by Jefferson. That's a totally different thing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Liep

Leaving tomorrow for Saint Petersburg. I've got three days, any recommendations on what to see and do?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

1 drop rule!

She is a white person now.  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 29, 2013, 12:25:12 PM
1 drop rule!

Since when did Languish come up with this opposite 1 drop rule?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

citizen k

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2013, 01:41:47 PM
1 drop rule!

The one drop rule can be applied to anyone for any "race".

garbon

Quote from: citizen k on July 29, 2013, 01:57:39 PM
1 drop rule!

But it generally isn't.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

citizen k

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2013, 01:58:27 PM
1 drop rule!

But it generally isn't.

But it can be.

garbon

Quote from: citizen k on July 29, 2013, 02:28:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2013, 01:58:27 PM
1 drop rule!

But it generally isn't.

But it can be.

And yet still doesn't answer my question. Thanks for playing. :mellow:

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Phillip V

Child Prostitution: Raids Rescue 105 Young People

'Declaring child prostitution a "persistent threat" in America, the FBI said Monday that authorities had rescued 105 young people and arrested 150 alleged pimps in a three-day sweep in 76 cities.
The young people in the roundup, almost all of them girls, ranged in age from 13 to 17.
The Justice Department has estimated that nearly 450,000 children run away from home each year and that one-third of teens living on the street will be lured toward prostitution within 48 hours of leaving home.'

:!:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/07/29/us/politics/ap-us-child-sex-arrests.html

Ideologue

Gee, government intervention really does destroy jobs.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on July 29, 2013, 10:39:31 AM
Leaving tomorrow for Saint Petersburg. I've got three days, any recommendations on what to see and do?

Heard there's some really nice palace.

Personally I'd love to walk along the Neva and contemplate suicide, just like all of Dostoyevsky's great characters.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011