News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Yes. No, Tyr, they're not black from working all day in the coal mine.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 19, 2013, 10:10:32 PM
Maryland music has sucked ass balls since Little Richard took a piss between connecting flights.

Quote2.   Who the F are the Animal Collective? They don't even have real names. There are better musicians from my home state of Maryland such as:
a.   Tori Amos raised in Rockville, MD and a graduate of Richard Montgomery High.
b.   O.A.R. formed at Thomas Sprigg Wooton High School in Rockville, Maryland.
c.   Jimmie's Chicken Shack, from Annapolis Maryland.
d.   Frank Zappa, born and raised in Baltimore.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Anything in Monkey County or PG County is technically DC.  So they don't count.

Syt

Vienna has passed Hamburg and is now the second largest German speaking city after Berlin. Since 2000, Vienna has gained 200,000 people, clocking in at 1.74 million.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2013, 02:42:36 PM
Vienna has passed Hamburg and is now the second largest German speaking city after Berlin. Since 2000, Vienna has gained 200,000 people, clocking in at 1.74 million.
do those 200,000 people actually speak german though, or are they all turks? :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: HVC on July 20, 2013, 02:45:11 PM

Actually, Turks are not the biggest migrant group. That would be Germans, followed by Serbs. Then the Turks (then Bosnians, Croatians, Romanians, Poles ...).

That said, about 40% of foreigners in Austria are in Vienna, meaning that 23% of the people in Vienna are foreigners (not counting naturalized immigrants - that would push the figure to 35 or 40%, depending on how you count).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2013, 02:54:24 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 20, 2013, 02:45:11 PM

Actually, Turks are not the biggest migrant group. That would be Germans, followed by Serbs. Then the Turks (then Bosnians, Croatians, Romanians, Poles ...).

That said, about 40% of foreigners in Austria are in Vienna, meaning that 23% of the people in Vienna are foreigners (not counting naturalized immigrants - that would push the figure to 35 or 40%, depending on how you count).
i'm sorry :(
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Ed Anger

Can't sleep again. Fuck.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 20, 2013, 08:04:16 PM
Can't sleep again. Fuck.

1. phone me up

2. listen to me drone on and on

3. sorted
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Overheard at the Cuban Exhibit at the Daytona Museum of Arts and Sciences:  "I like this because it's realism.  I like realism, like Dalí."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on July 20, 2013, 08:47:11 PM
Overheard at the Cuban Exhibit at the Daytona Museum of Arts and Sciences:  "I like this because it's realism.  I like realism, like Dalí."

Not totally ridiculous.  Dali's actual painting technique was realist, or representational I guess, in terms of light and shadow, and giving his subjects realistic weight, which is why, unless another's just not coming to mind, he's the only 20th century painter I genuinely give a shit about.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Only medium ridiculous.

Ideologue

I mean, I ain't saying that like Sav don't know it, but that's probably what the guy meant.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 20, 2013, 08:56:44 PM
he's the only 20th century painter I genuinely give a shit about.

How pedestrian.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.