News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 11, 2013, 09:12:12 AM
Its also where the US oil industry is located.

I'm sure they're doing their share to pitch in.

derspiess

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 11, 2013, 09:12:12 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2013, 07:52:47 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2013, 07:45:04 AM
People talk about a growing Asian population in Central Texas and that is overwhelmingly driven by Indians, and last I checked they are not East Asians.  Plenty of Hitler fetishists in Central Asia as well how should I make it clear Spicey?

I'd still like to know why the PRC has a consulate in Houston. Could it be all those Chinese students there at U of H, and all those Chinese tourists getting faced during Spring Break on the Gulf Coast?

Oh wait, that's where the US space program is located.

Its also where the US oil industry is located.

Of course it's also where Yao played.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

April was our busiest month since December 2009!  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2013, 07:52:47 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2013, 07:45:04 AM
People talk about a growing Asian population in Central Texas and that is overwhelmingly driven by Indians, and last I checked they are not East Asians.  Plenty of Hitler fetishists in Central Asia as well how should I make it clear Spicey?

I'd still like to know why the PRC has a consulate in Houston. Could it be all those Chinese students there at U of H, and all those Chinese tourists getting faced during Spring Break on the Gulf Coast?

Oh wait, that's where the US space program is located.
It's the 4th largest city in one of the largest nations of Earth. Of course they'll have a consulate there.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 11, 2013, 09:18:38 AM
It's the 4th largest city in one of the largest nations of Earth. Of course they'll have a consulate there.

Go fuck yourself.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 08:32:20 AM

Maybe y'all do things differently in Texas, but in most other places in the US, "Asian" is a colloquialism for East Asian.  Kind of like how it refers to South Asians in the UK.

Sadly, that's the case here. We have Asians (re: East Asians) and Indians (re: from India and Pakistan) and Middle Eastern (re: anyone who doesn't fit the other criteria, even if they're Asian).
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

jimmy olsen

Quote from: merithyn on July 11, 2013, 09:25:21 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 08:32:20 AM

Maybe y'all do things differently in Texas, but in most other places in the US, "Asian" is a colloquialism for East Asian.  Kind of like how it refers to South Asians in the UK.

Sadly, that's the case here. We have Asians (re: East Asians) and Indians (re: from India and Pakistan) and Middle Eastern (re: anyone who doesn't fit the other criteria, even if they're Asian).
Sadly?

It's natural to use different terms to divide up such a large and diverse continent in colloquial speech.

1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 11, 2013, 09:29:45 AM
Sadly?

Meri just likes ragging on her neighbors, who are not the highly evolved ball of light that she is :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Sadly?

It's natural to use different terms to divide up such a large and diverse continent in colloquial speech.

I find ignorance sad. Nothing wrong with dividing a continent up. There's something wrong with doing so incorrectly, and in such a way as can cause offense.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 09:32:02 AM
Sadly?

Meri just likes ragging on her neighbors, who are not the highly evolved ball of light that she is :P

Just the white trash ignorant ones. :whistle:

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on July 11, 2013, 09:39:55 AM
Sadly?

I find ignorance sad. Nothing wrong with dividing a continent up. There's something wrong with doing so incorrectly, and in such a way as can cause offense.

Who gets offended by that?

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 09:48:38 AM
Sadly?

Indians are usually not pleased with being confused with Pakistanis. Neither Pakistanis nor Indians are usually pleased with being confused with Middle Easterners.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on July 11, 2013, 10:14:50 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 09:48:38 AM
Sadly?

Indians are usually not pleased with being confused with Pakistanis. Neither Pakistanis nor Indians are usually pleased with being confused with Middle Easterners.

I guess I specifically meant the "Asian" thing.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on July 11, 2013, 10:14:50 AM

Give them access to two different rooms for lunch, and you'll be able to figure out which is which pretty quickly.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt