And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2013, 10:23:23 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on June 19, 2013, 10:16:57 AM
Never even heard of Lox before today. I guess it is for more civilized areas of the world, down here we eat our bagels with good ole cream cheese.

Not enough Jews in Bama.

I had never heard of a bagel until I went to college.

Not many Jews in Iowa either?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on June 19, 2013, 10:24:46 AM
Not many Jews in Iowa either?

A few, since the University of Iowa gets a lot of Chicagoland students.  But more to the point, not a lot of Jews in Korea.

Neil

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 18, 2013, 09:43:52 PM

For some reason, it made me think of Languish...
Why can't I buy this product?  :(
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on June 19, 2013, 10:28:15 AM

I did a search.  In Ottawa, 4 rolls cost 21 cents.  In 1936.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2013, 10:29:41 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 19, 2013, 10:28:15 AM

I did a search.  In Ottawa, 4 rolls cost 21 cents.  In 1936.

Of course, now I'm probably targeted by the NSA for attempting to explore weaknesses in US naval warfighting capabilities.

Jacob

Quote from: Liep on June 19, 2013, 07:14:15 AM
I'm not sure how lox is made, but it looks like 'gravad laks', in which case you should try it with dill and maybe some mustard.

Yeah, it's essentially the same.

Malthus

Lox is best with cream cheese and capers.  :mmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on June 19, 2013, 10:43:52 AM
Lox is best with cream cheese and capers.  :mmm:

Yes, yes it is.

derspiess

I love me some bagels (everything bagel w/ light cream cheese is my go-to), but I have no use for lox.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2013, 10:30:46 AM
Of course, now I'm probably targeted by the NSA for attempting to explore weaknesses in US naval warfighting capabilities.

I'm thinking your Castro sympathy and Occupy rhetoric already got datamined.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2013, 11:38:40 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2013, 10:30:46 AM

I'm thinking your Castro sympathy and Occupy rhetoric already got datamined.

So that's why all his applications get rejected.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Does anyone have any recommendations for history podcasts? I've recently gone through Russian Rulers and 12 Byzantine Rulers and liked them both.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Had an interesting yet kind of a weird conversation with my wife's co-worker the other day.  She's from Bosnia-- her family came here in the 90s as refugees from Mostar.  Her dad was actually in a concentration camp for a period of time.  She acted a little odd when I asked her ethnicity (though I guess I struggled to find a way to ask that gently) & just said she was from a 'mixed ethnic' family-- I'm guessing she was more or less Bosniak.  She seemed to think that her parents having been communist party members was the reason they were bullied and oppressed during the war, rather than their ethnicity.

Anyway, she seemed surprised (if not a bit freaked out) that I knew as much as I did about Bosnia and the wars.  So I didn't want it to feel like an interrogation.  Hope to extract more info & anecdotes next time I talk to her.  I've only ever met a handful of people from that rather fascinating part of the world.

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on June 19, 2013, 12:20:26 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for history podcasts? I've recently gone through Russian Rulers and 12 Byzantine Rulers and liked them both.

Dan Carlin's Hard Core History
Mike Duncan's The History of Rome
David Crowther's The History of England
Laszlo Montgomery's Chinese History Podcast

That should keep you busy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on June 19, 2013, 12:20:26 PM

This should have its own thread so as to avoid being lost in the shuffle.