News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Syt, dude, you have until early September to get to like the great country-punk band Lucero, because they'll be in Vienna and I intend to go!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OPFFpff7pQ

HVC

I took the day off to study for an exam tonight. I did very little studying :lol:  It's a comprehensive course, if I don't know my shit by now i'm screwed either way. but at least I got to relax.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on June 10, 2013, 03:35:23 PM
I took the day off to study for an exam tonight. I did very little studying :lol:  It's a comprehensive course, if I don't know my shit by now i'm screwed either way. but at least I got to relax.

An entire world of possibilities were opened for me when a teacher of mine (of the "society insuranec" subject - like healthcare and pension tax rules shit) told me on my final exam:
"I see that you have not learned, but it is easier for both of us if I let you pass. You get an E"

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on June 10, 2013, 03:50:47 PM

An entire world of possibilities were opened for me when a teacher of mine (of the "society insuranec" subject - like healthcare and pension tax rules shit) told me on my final exam:
"I see that you have not learned, but it is easier for both of us if I let you pass. You get an E"

My friend got a similar message. You need a certain grade to in the class to write the final (it's competency based, so you need to pass the 6 competencies, fail one fail the course) he got a "you failed the class but i'm going to let you write the final" message on his last assignment.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on June 10, 2013, 03:54:19 PM

My friend got a similar message. You need a certain grade to in the class to write the final (it's competency based, so you need to pass the 6 competencies, fail one fail the course) he got a "you failed the class but i'm going to let you write the final" message on his last assignment.

To good or bad, during those 2 years school I realized that being smart not only meant that I could get some awesome grades if I studied, but that I could also scrape by with minimal effort.

Liep

Studying too; 14 hours till my Russian exam. But I feel more like watching the new Veep.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

I've heard of countries giving A, B, C, D, & F, I've heard of countries giving 0-100, countries giving 0-20, etc., but I have never before heard of a country handing out E's.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on June 10, 2013, 04:00:46 PM

To good or bad, during those 2 years school I realized that being smart not only meant that I could get some awesome grades if I studied, but that I could also scrape by with minimal effort.

That was a lesson I learned in high school - I could skirt by with minimal effort.

Of course I hit a brick wall in 2nd year university science courses when I rapidly learned otherwise.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2013, 04:05:05 PM
I've heard of countries giving A, B, C, D, & F, I've heard of countries giving 0-100, countries giving 0-20, etc., but I have never before heard of a country handing out E's.

We give out 12, 10, 7, 4, 02 (passed), 00 (failed), and -03. Supposedly this corresponds better with the ECTS scale than our earlier 13-scale (13, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 03, 00)
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on June 10, 2013, 04:05:44 PM
Quote from: Tamas on June 10, 2013, 04:00:46 PM

That was a lesson I learned in high school - I could skirt by with minimal effort.

Of course I hit a brick wall in 2nd year university science courses when I rapidly learned otherwise.

yeah, college... It was... what's its name... it was a subject about designing digital circuit plans or drawings or whatnot (I am teh drunk). The easy stuff was easy of course, but with the limited effort I was willing to give, I could not grasp the advanced stuff. It was a new experience. :P But I was already at the stage of realising that school was a bad idea. I finished the courses I was interested in, often with good grades, but never could arse myself to finish the ones I couldn't care less about.

DGuller

More on the latest tire blowout.  I pop another tire on another pot hole I didn't even see, and I pull off.  I call Geico, and they send out a tow truck to change my tire.  One problem:  the lug nut key is missing.  Apparently the last guys who changed my tire misplaced it.  That's a big problem.  The first guy who came tried and tried to find the key anywhere in my car, and then tried and tried to remove the tire without that key, but it was to no avail.

Plan B was to tow me to a 24/7 tire repair shop, where they would be able to do something about the lack of key.  The whole process of waiting, towing, and unloading took another 2.5 hours.  Finally that tire shop managed to put on my spare, and after a 3 hour delay, I was able to drive home.

Today I'm looking through all the crap I took out from the trunk, and find the lug nut key. :frusty: In the pouch, right where it's supposed to be.  :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: Seriously?  :rolleyes:

Tonitrus

You're not a woman...why are you calling a tow truck to change a tire?  :P

DGuller

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 10, 2013, 04:38:26 PM
You're not a woman...why are you calling a tow truck to change a tire?  :P
I think we covered that last time I blew out a tire.

HVC

What was the consensus?

Eddie Teach

That Guller is in fact a woman?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?