News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 16, 2013, 03:15:34 PM
I decided to quit IE & move to full time to Chrome. Only sad part is that this forum with XP & Chrome looks like crap.

Chrome has the worst font rendering of any browser.

Also the ugliest tabs, but that's more of a personal preference.
and the horse you rode in on

Eddie Teach

Quote from: fahdiz on May 16, 2013, 02:03:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 16, 2013, 12:15:04 PM
I don't really see how either of those answer it. Do you typically emote feeling of Swiss?

I generally just use it for freedom or nationalism as the only flag one we have. :D

:thumbsup:

I believe it is supposed to signify neutrality.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 16, 2013, 03:50:19 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on May 16, 2013, 02:03:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 16, 2013, 12:15:04 PM
I don't really see how either of those answer it. Do you typically emote feeling of Swiss?

I generally just use it for freedom or nationalism as the only flag one we have. :D

:thumbsup:

I believe it is supposed to signify neutrality.

AKA freedom and nationalism.

MadImmortalMan

Former NASCAR driver Dick Trickle is dead ... apparently having taken his own life with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.  He was 71 years old.

Cops in North Carolina say Trickle shot himself at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Lincoln County at 12:02 PM today.

Officials say they received a phone call before the shooting in which the caller told cops there would be a dead body at the cemetery and it would be his.

Operators scrambled, trying to place a return call, but there was no answer.

When emergency responders arrived, they found Trickle's body.

Trickle was a fan favorite in NASCAR -- often smoking cigarettes while he raced -- even won the NASCAR "Rookie of the Year" award in the Winston Cup in 1989, when he was 48 years old.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

fhdz

Phillip V

Why did Dick Trickle himself?

DGuller

Damn.  That guy had a funny name, and he didn't amount to anything in the top leagues, but he was a short track legend.

Kleves

Spielberg has been making tens of millions off a bet he made with George Lucas:
QuoteIt's a pretty well-known bit of Star Wars trivia that George Lucas had serious problems with assembling the first cut of A New Hope. Throughout production and post-production the filmmaker was faced with an onslaught of obstacles, both in-house and with the studio. Apparently, Lucas was so depressed at one point that he took a vacation to visit his friend Steven Spielberg, who was working on Close Encounters of the Third Kind at the time.

According to Celebrity Networth, Spielberg revealed that, while on set, Lucas made a bet with him regarding Star Wars -- a bet that has continued to pay off handsomely for Spielberg ever since.

"George came back from Star Wars a nervous wreck," Spielberg said. "He didn't feel Star Wars came up to the vision he initially had. He felt he had just made this little kids' movie. He came to Mobile, Alabama where I was shooting Close Encounters on this humongous set, and hung out with me for a couple of days.

"He said, 'Oh my God, your movie is going to be so much more successful than Star Wars. This is gonna be the biggest hit of all time.' He said, 'You want to trade some points? I'll give you two and a half percent of Star Wars if you give me two and a half per cent of Close Encounters.' I said, 'Sure, I'll gamble with that, great.' Close Encounters made so much money and rescued Columbia from bankruptcy. It was the most money I ever made, but it was a meager success story. Star Wars was a phenomenon and I was the happy beneficiary of a couple of points from that movie which I am still seeing money on today."

How much money, you ask? Celebrity Networth estimates that Spielberg has made about $46.675 million from his deal with Lucas... and that number keeps growing every day.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

fhdz

People with that much money live in a completely different universe than the rest of us.

Phillip V

George Lucas is now betting on an interracial intergenerational marriage for himself. :)

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 16, 2013, 04:25:59 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on May 16, 2013, 03:42:22 PM
I use Chrome, and this forum looks fine. :)

On XP?

That's what I run at home and it's fine.

Phillip V

fhdz

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 16, 2013, 04:25:59 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on May 16, 2013, 03:42:22 PM
I use Chrome, and this forum looks fine. :)

On XP?

Hey, GF - do you have ClearType turned on?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Kleves on May 16, 2013, 04:18:11 PM
Spielberg has been making tens of millions off a bet he made with George Lucas:
<snip>

Great story.