Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on May 06, 2013, 06:26:18 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2013, 12:56:53 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on May 06, 2013, 05:53:43 AM
The world would be much better if Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean had been annexed by the United States.

In the sense that without Canada, people in the US wouldnt fully understand just how big a mistake it was to have their rebellion?

As a Catholic I don't see how my life would be better under British rule.  I'd rather not have Barrister march down my street wearing orange and throw bricks through my window.

Remember the bit about Americans being unaware of the world around them?

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2013, 11:55:08 AM
The world would be much better if Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean had been annexed by the United States.

In the sense that without Canada, people in the US wouldnt fully understand just how big a mistake it was to have their rebellion?

As a Catholic I don't see how my life would be better under British rule.  I'd rather not have Barrister march down my street wearing orange and throw bricks through my window.

Raz post is too far up the pages.

http://www.solon.org/Constitutions/Canada/English/PreConfederation/qa_1774.html

QuoteAnd, for the more perfect Security and Ease of the Minds of the Inhabitants of the said Province," it is hereby declared, That his Majesty's Subjects, professing the Religion of the Church of Rome of and in the said Province of Quebec. may have, hold, and enjoy, the free Exercise of the Religion of the Church of Rome, subject to the King's Supremacy, declared and established by an Act, made in the first Year of the Reign of Queen Elizabeth, over all the Dominions and Countries which then did, or thereafter should belong, to the Imperial Crown of this Realm; and that the Clergy of the said Church may hold, receive, and enjoy, their accustomed Dues and Rights, with respect to such Persons only as shall profess the said Religion.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

@Tim, Tyr: Has one of you been to Taiwan? Anything to see in Taipeh. Google suggests its a bit bland place...

Admiral Yi

My understanding is the museums are jammed with goodies.  Chiang cleaned them out when he ran away.

Jacob

Yeah, that's my understanding also - most of the imperial treasury is there. So if you like old Chinese artifacts, it's the place to check out.

Jacob

@Zanza - my wife recommends eating at the night market and checking out the various street food. Also Din Tai Fung (a restaurant) makes some really good Xiao Long Bao (I had some with truffles which I really liked at their location in Shanghai, but the Taipei one is the original).

You might want to check out building 101, once the tallest in the world until the Burj Khalifa was built.

The place to find most of the imperial treasures and other arts stuff is Taipei Gu Gong - http://www.npm.gov.tw/en/

Anyhow, we have a few friends from and in Taiwan so we can probably rustle up some recommendations. What kind of things are you interested in? How long are you there? And will you go anywhere outside Taipei?

Neil

Asian food?  On the street?  At night?  Danger!
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/01/3374846/gov-rick-scott-must-act-by-midnight.html

"I have concluded that I cannot support this legislation because it applies retroactively and thus tampers with the settled economic expectations of many Floridians who have experienced divorce," Scott wrote in a veto letter. "The retroactive adjustment of alimony could result in unfair, unanticipated results."

Too bad. Would have been awesome.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Phillip V

I decided to strategize with a coworker today about negotiating higher salaries the end of the year, so we shared our individual salary information with each other.

For the same position as me, she makes $22k less than I do. I told her to start job searching NOW. :wacko:

Malthus

Awesome "battling Spocks" car commercial.  :D

http://io9.com/old-spock-battles-new-spock-in-the-greatest-car-commerc-493836696?autoplay=1

References the ballad of bilbo baggins.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 07, 2013, 12:01:36 PM

QuoteAnd, for the more perfect Security and Ease of the Minds of the Inhabitants of the said Province," it is hereby declared, That his Majesty's Subjects, professing the Religion of the Church of Rome of and in the said Province of Quebec. may have, hold, and enjoy, the free Exercise of the Religion of the Church of Rome, subject to the King's Supremacy, declared and established by an Act, made in the first Year of the Reign of Queen Elizabeth, over all the Dominions and Countries which then did, or thereafter should belong, to the Imperial Crown of this Realm; and that the Clergy of the said Church may hold, receive, and enjoy, their accustomed Dues and Rights, with respect to such Persons only as shall profess the said Religion.

Could they vote?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2013, 04:05:18 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 07, 2013, 12:01:36 PM

Could they vote?

As of 1791, yes. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zanza on May 07, 2013, 12:52:51 PM
@Tim, Tyr: Has one of you been to Taiwan? Anything to see in Taipeh. Google suggests its a bit bland place...
Me and HMBob went to Taiwan. Lots of great museums there and in the Summer there are good beaches I believe.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

House prices up 22% here. In March.  :wacko:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 07, 2013, 07:13:56 PM
House prices up 22% here. In March.  :wacko:

There's a doctor in my building that's going to be looking to sell his unit in about a year;  I asked him to give me a call when he's ready.
Even though it's on the 2nd floor it's a larger unit with a den and a laundry room, and more importantly a garage with direct access.  Has a staircase that leads right into the living room from the garage.  Nice.

But I dunno.  I'd rather get the hell out of dodge altogether.