News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 30, 2013, 02:12:55 PMI get that.  My question was about the applicability of the national symbol to the lives of citizens.

So you question the train, rather than the robotic arm in space?

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on April 30, 2013, 02:15:17 PMThese days, no-one I know does the Toronto-Vancouver run except as a tourism-type thing. I haven't done it myself, but the views are said to be spectacular.

I plan on doing it one day :)

Probably just one way, though.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on April 30, 2013, 02:15:30 PM
So you question the train, rather than the robotic arm in space?

I didn't want to beat up the cripple.  :sleep:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 30, 2013, 01:54:39 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 30, 2013, 01:40:04 PM
How common is it to ride the train in Canuckistan?

The Windsor-Toronto-Montreal corridor train use is reasonably common.

Out here though nobody does.

There is a communter train (actually a number of trains) running from the suburbs to downtown Vancouver and then the reverse at the end of the day.  It is heavily used and has led to a bit of a housing boom in the suburbs now that a via mode of transportation has been provided.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 30, 2013, 02:12:55 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 30, 2013, 01:59:31 PM
I'm pretty sure that train is from the trans-Canada railway, which is a somewhat significant national symbol.

I get that.  My question was about the applicability of the national symbol to the lives of citizens.

As a national symbol it is the reason why I am not a yank.  But for the building of the Trans-Canada much of the West would be suffering the horrors of private medical insurance.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 30, 2013, 02:19:19 PM
I'm pretty sure that train is from the trans-Canada railway, which is a somewhat significant national symbol.

I get that.  My question was about the applicability of the national symbol to the lives of citizens.

As a national symbol it is the reason why I am not a yank.  But for the building of the Trans-Canada much of the West would be suffering the horrors of private medical insurance.

But it isn't celebrating CP's or CN's trans-Canadian railway - it is celebrating VIA Rail.  Which nobody uses.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on April 30, 2013, 02:21:53 PM

But it isn't celebrating CP's or CN's trans-Canadian railway - it is celebrating VIA Rail.  Which nobody uses.

Isn't it a modern passanger train running on the same set of tracks?  :huh:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on April 30, 2013, 02:25:06 PMIsn't it a modern passanger train running on the same set of tracks?  :huh:

That's what I thought.

Phillip V

PRC

Quote from: Malthus on April 30, 2013, 02:25:06 PM

Based on the map and my own experience I don't believe they do.  The passenger train runs through Jasper while CN Freight parallels the # 1 Trans-Canada Highway through the Bow Valley and Golden.

Malthus

Quote from: PRC on April 30, 2013, 03:00:40 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 30, 2013, 02:25:06 PM

Based on the map and my own experience I don't believe they do.  The passenger train runs through Jasper while CN Freight parallels the # 1 Trans-Canada Highway through the Bow Valley and Golden.

The "trans-canada railway" is a more general term: according to the wiki, the CN and CP used to run passanger trains until that function was taken over in both cases by Via.

The Canadian National Railways (CNR) was incorporated on June 6, 1919, comprising several railways that had become bankrupt and fallen into federal government hands, along with some railways already owned by the government. On November 17, 1995, the federal government privatized CN. Over the next decade, the company expanded significantly into the United States, purchasing Illinois Central Railroad and Wisconsin Central Transportation, among others. Now primarily a freight railway, CN also operated passenger services until 1978, when they were assumed by Via Rail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_National_Railway

The railway was originally built between eastern Canada and British Columbia between 1881 and 1885 (connecting with Ottawa Valley and Georgian Bay area lines built earlier), fulfilling a promise extended to British Columbia when it entered Confederation in 1871. It was Canada's first transcontinental railway, but currently does not reach the Atlantic coast. Primarily a freight railway, the CPR was for decades the only practical means of long-distance passenger transport in most regions of Canada, and was instrumental in the settlement and development of Western Canada. The CP became one of the largest and most powerful companies in Canada, a position it held as late as 1975.[2] Its primary passenger services were eliminated in 1986, after being assumed by Via Rail Canada in 1978.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Pacific_Railway
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on April 30, 2013, 03:00:40 PM

VIA uses CP's tracks I believe.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Seriously?  We label 'Washington' and 'Lincoln' on our bills and the Canadians just assume everybody can recognize Laurier and Macdonald on sight?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."