Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 24, 2013, 11:45:47 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 24, 2013, 07:24:53 AM
Dirty rat bastards.

For years, my credit union's been awarding Rewards points for check card transactions, you know the kind where you can redeem them for fabulous gifts and prizes. 
I've banked something like 70,000 points over the years, enough for Apple products, for fuck's sake;  now, effective May 31st they're ending it for check card holders, and you'll only accrue points if you have a Platinum Visa credit card. 

Fucking bankers.  Like label makers and digital cameras are setting them back that much.

I blame Yi.  They're his people.

Blame your OWS overlords.  They're the ones who sold you the lie that banking at credit unions is all Light and Goodness.

That said, my credit union is a lot more responsive and attentive to my needs than my bank.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2013, 11:48:43 AM
That said, my credit union is a lot more responsive and attentive to my needs than my bank.

This is true; that's why I've dumped banks over the years, and have been with the credit union for 20 years.  BoA were right bastards.

I think I'll spend my Rewards points on a Bose sound system.  Either that, or a shitload of household items that I'll use for Xmas.  Fuck it, who am I kidding.  Fuck Xmas gifts.  It's my shit.

Then again, maybe I shouldn't talk so much smack about my credit union.  I just filed a job application with them.  :lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2013, 09:00:27 AM
Dirty rat bastards.

For years, my credit union's been awarding Rewards points for check card transactions, you know the kind where you can redeem them for fabulous gifts and prizes. 
I've banked something like 70,000 points over the years, enough for Apple products, for fuck's sake;  now, effective May 31st they're ending it for check card holders, and you'll only accrue points if you have a Platinum Visa credit card. 

Fucking bankers.  Like label makers and digital cameras are setting them back that much.

As always, your rage is misplaced.  You should be sending angry letters to Messrs. Frank, Dodd, Durbin and all the senators & congressman who voted for it.

Reading is fun: http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/durbin-amendment-explained/

They meant well.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 24, 2013, 02:29:57 PM
They meant well.

:D

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 24, 2013, 02:29:03 PM
Then again, maybe I shouldn't talk so much smack about my credit union.  I just filed a job application with them.  :lol:

Awesome thing about working for a credit union is that you can get hired with zero banking experience.  Hell, you can get chosen as CEO without any banking experience. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2013, 02:35:06 PM
Hell, you can get chosen as CEO without any banking experience.

My last CEO had no utilities experience;  he was in real estate.   So he did what he knows:  sell.

citizen k

Dirty rat bastards...

As always, your rage is misplaced.  You should be sending angry letters to Messrs. Frank, Dodd, Durbin and all the senators & congressman who voted for it.

Reading is fun: http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/durbin-amendment-explained/

They meant well.

:lol:
No they didn't, they meant to pass some crappy legislation so they could say they did something.

derspiess

Quote from: citizen k on April 24, 2013, 02:37:55 PM
Dirty rat bastards...

They meant well.

:lol:
No they didn't, they meant to pass some crappy legislation so they could say they did something.

...and to please Walmart and other retailers lobbying them like crazy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

Not that any of you care, but communist Frank Aaen actually came out on top as the sensible one in a debate with him, a social democrat and a liberal (the latter two agreeing, somehow).
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Anyone know anything about ipad/tablets in general hardware?
I saw an app demo the other day, you put a coloured card to the screen and the screen changed colour to match the card.  I can't for the life of me figure out how it worked. There was nothing on the cards, no brail or anything to multi-touch, the camera wasn't involved and I'm told the brightness detection functionality did nothing either. Most odd. Can't seem to find it online again to study it some more too :(
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

it had to be the camera

11B4V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgjFX8z0e8M

Quoteto see it all, visit https://www.createspace.com/204557
making this movie was a pure joy. I got to fly as a passenger in one of these gladiator planes. we also placed cameras and audio tape recorders in the plains to capture these incredible scenes including sounds. To see more of my films, visit www.theHoffmancollection.com. Thank you.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point