Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 23, 2013, 11:50:18 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 23, 2013, 11:06:18 AM
Freaking out cats with them is a plus.

Yeah, luckily my ceilings are vaulted so I have enough room to fight the controls and do the Apocalypse Now thing with the cat.

My upstairs ceiling could have been vaulted, but the dipshit who built the house decided to have an attic-- which I can't even access.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 23, 2013, 11:00:28 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 23, 2013, 10:38:34 AM
What should I buy a Nexus 7 or an RC Helicopter?

I never found those Rc helicopters to be that fun. You spend too much time fighting the controls before crashing them into a staircase.

4 of the 5 of us on the Coast Guard Film crew  had them and would have aerial dogfights in the house.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on April 23, 2013, 11:06:13 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 23, 2013, 11:00:28 AM
You spend too much time fighting the controls before crashing them into a staircase.

Are you angry with the staircase because your cripplitude makes you condemned to live out your life on the ground floor? You still have memories of the upper floor, happy memories, and sadness has turned to frustration has turned to hate.

:lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

QuoteStocks Finish Near Session Highs After Brief Plunge on 'Bogus' AP Tweet; Dow Soars 150

Stocks ended a volatile day with strong gains Tuesday after taking a sharp nosedive in midday trading, following a false Twitter post of two explosions in the White House.

Stocks took a steep plunge following a false AP tweet that indicated that the White House had been the victim of an explosion and that President Obama had been injured. The AP confirmed its Twitter account was hacked and the spokesman said the tweet was "bogus." The Twitter account was suspended shortly after the fake tweet.

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney held a press conference shortly following AP's Twitter post, saying "the President is fine."

"That goes to show you how algorithms read headlines and create these automatic orders – you don't even have time to react as a human being," said Kenny Polcari of O'Neill Securities. "I'd imagine the SEC's going to look into how this happened. It's not about banning computers, but it's about protection and securing our markets."

Almost immediately following the tweet, the Dow Jones Industrial Average took a quick 143-point dive, before recovering most of its losses within minutes. The three-minute plunge triggered by the tweet briefly wiped out $136.5 billion of the S&P 500 index's value, according to Reuters data. The Dow finished up 152.29 points, or 1.05 percent, to end at 14,719.46.

Oh no, the Dow's not predicated on confidence or anything.  Yeah, I'm full of shit when I say that.  Heaven forbid anybody question the infallibility of Wall Street.

What a way to run a national economy railroad.

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

Save it for the Security Traders Association Xmas party, Romnyi.

Admiral Yi

You need to decide if you're trying to make a serious point or if you're being satirical.

MadImmortalMan

MIM: What would you do if I were killed in some crowd bombing like the one in Boston?

Mrs MIM: You wouldn't be caught dead in a crowd.

:lol:

Maybe there is an evolutionary advantage to being an introvert after all.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 23, 2013, 05:41:45 PM
QuoteStocks Finish Near Session Highs After Brief Plunge on 'Bogus' AP Tweet; Dow Soars 150

Stocks ended a volatile day with strong gains Tuesday after taking a sharp nosedive in midday trading, following a false Twitter post of two explosions in the White House.

Stocks took a steep plunge following a false AP tweet that indicated that the White House had been the victim of an explosion and that President Obama had been injured. The AP confirmed its Twitter account was hacked and the spokesman said the tweet was "bogus." The Twitter account was suspended shortly after the fake tweet.

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney held a press conference shortly following AP's Twitter post, saying "the President is fine."

"That goes to show you how algorithms read headlines and create these automatic orders – you don't even have time to react as a human being," said Kenny Polcari of O'Neill Securities. "I'd imagine the SEC's going to look into how this happened. It's not about banning computers, but it's about protection and securing our markets."

Almost immediately following the tweet, the Dow Jones Industrial Average took a quick 143-point dive, before recovering most of its losses within minutes. The three-minute plunge triggered by the tweet briefly wiped out $136.5 billion of the S&P 500 index's value, according to Reuters data. The Dow finished up 152.29 points, or 1.05 percent, to end at 14,719.46.

Oh no, the Dow's not predicated on confidence or anything.  Yeah, I'm full of shit when I say that.  Heaven forbid anybody question the infallibility of Wall Street.

What a way to run a national economy railroad.

I told you guys the market trades off of Twitter. :contract:

Admiral Yi

Did you make any money from that cataclysmic 1% drop in the market Mim?

HVC

I see a great investment strategy in that chart :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2013, 07:17:14 PM
Did you make any money from that cataclysmic 1% drop in the market Mim?

Nope. I hope the dude who hijacked AP did though. Assuming that's what HVC is thinking.  :P

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 23, 2013, 08:30:28 AM
Quote from: Jacob on April 22, 2013, 10:55:44 PM
Looks like the Koch brothers are aiming to fix that: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/business/media/koch-brothers-making-play-for-tribunes-newspapers.html

I posted on that ages ago.  That's a lot of editorial boards to be in charge of in time for 2016.
Fortunately they'll be in charge of newspaper editorial boards, so everything should be alright.  After all, who reads newspapers in the 21st century?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2013, 06:36:27 PM
You need to decide if you're trying to make a serious point or if you're being satirical.

The system is broken, and it needs to be fixed.  Preferably with high-grade munitions.  In crock pots.

Admiral Yi

Anything's better than you posting more nonsense.