News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Brazen on April 18, 2013, 07:57:57 AM
Pfft, The Guardian has been experiencing increased traffic since The Times went behind a paywall.
I wonder how that works out for them, whether the money they pull in from getting suckers to pay them is more than they would get from selling every square inch of the screen for ads?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on April 18, 2013, 08:14:13 AM
Quote from: Brazen on April 18, 2013, 07:57:57 AM
Pfft, The Guardian has been experiencing increased traffic since The Times went behind a paywall.
I wonder how that works out for them, whether the money they pull in from getting suckers to pay them is more than they would get from selling every square inch of the screen for ads?

The problem is newspapers, generally, aren't seeing much revenue in the form of ads on their websites
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

On that note, Flattr have put themselves forward as universal paysite for newspapers.

http://blog.flattr.net/2013/04/flattr-as-a-paymentwall-on-news-sites/

QuoteIt's a well known fact that news organizations over the world are discussing when and how they should start using a paywall, if they already haven't.

Certainly inevitable if you look at the trends in newspaper industry, where revenue from readers is starting to be higher than the from ads. But there are lot's of different ways to go, from a rigid wall to an open approach where all material is available with the possibility for readers to pay for what they like.

A global payment solution
It's becoming quite a hassle to read news online. All news sites are implementing their own walls and subscription plans. The problem is of course that we don't consume content in silos. Never had, never will.

If you're news company isn't The New York Times it's highly unlikly that readers outside your absolute proximity sign up to read the one article they were referred to by a friend or that is the talk of the web.

(Post continues after that.) But I agree - I don't want to buy a full subscription of whatever paper if I'm only interested in an article or three.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Hey RH, did you see this?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-22089173

QuoteA village's "founding father" is unlikely to have a street named after him because his name has been considered too difficult to pronounce.

Writer Richard Hakluyt, pronounced 'hack-loot', founded Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford in the 16th Century.The parish council hoped to name a new road Hakluyt Close. But Mid Suffolk District Council fears the name is "confusing" and could "waste time".

The authority believes most people will not realise how to accurately pronounce Hakluyt.

According to the BBC I've been pronouncing it (in my head) wrong all along :hmm:

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Brazen

fhdz

Quote from: Brazen on April 18, 2013, 11:05:16 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 18, 2013, 11:02:14 AM
Oh shit, me too :ph34r:
I plumped for "Hack-light".
I went with more of a "Hack-louie(t)". God, I'm such a fucking American :(

sbr

That's what I thought too fadhiz. :D

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: fahdiz on April 18, 2013, 11:07:02 AM

You assume there is a "correct" way to pronounce it.  Congressman Rick Boucher pronounces his name BOW-chur.  I worked with a guy who had the same last name and pronounced it boo-SHAY.

Brazen

I'm a big fan of the way Americans pronounce all the vowels. Like for "buoy" you say "booey" and we just say "boy".

Josephus

And if they can't pronounce them, then they just remove them completely.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Josephus on April 18, 2013, 11:18:07 AM
And if they can't pronounce them, then they just remove them completely.

Damn right.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

fhdz

Quote from: Brazen on April 18, 2013, 11:14:42 AM
I'm a big fan of the way Americans pronounce all the vowels. Like for "buoy" you say "booey" and we just say "boy".

We are endearing! :D