The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2013, 12:01:52 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 02, 2013, 11:59:22 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2013, 09:33:12 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 02, 2013, 09:23:15 AM
They are still catching up, AFAIK the UK is the country with the fastest installation of offshore wind turbines in the world. They have to put them at sea because the NIMBYism is atrocious on land.
NIMBYism is atrocious for everything on land. We can't build houses, the high speed rails controversial, expanding London's air capacity's a nightmare and there's real issues with all power plants - we need all of them over the next 10-20 years though.

Ironically nuclear's one of the easier ones because many of the new plants are planned to built on top of old decommissioned sites.

Oh, it's much worse than that, locally they're trying to install an offshore wind south of the Purbecks and the well off are complaining it'll spoil their view.   :rolleyes:

Will it not?

It won't.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2013, 12:15:52 PM
I find wind turbines quit cool to look at actually.  It certainly has not hurt the view in West Texas.
I thought they were quite pretty in the Highlands.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2013, 12:15:52 PM
I find wind turbines quit cool to look at actually.  It certainly has not hurt the view in West Texas.

I don't. The ones on the entrance to Palm Springs are pretty much eyesores and use up a lot of land (someday I'm sure the desert cities will grow and overtake them).  Though like the Cabazon dinosaurs they are tacky iconic.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

It's not physically possible for taco bell, or any food, to go from one end to the other in 22 minutes, right?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on April 02, 2013, 05:51:30 PM
It's not physically possible for taco bell, or any food, to go from one end to the other in 22 minutes, right?

Sure it is.  It's not a good thing, but it's possible.

Lettow77

I have, after much toil, nearly finished a staggeringly partisan capstone paper on Forrest. It contains wonderful lines such as "..Regrettably, the Union was unable to measure up to the comparatively virtuous Forrest's standard of moral rectitude.." and "..To his credit, Forrest did not sink to this base and iniquitous standard of conduct.. "

Much ado is made of how he was loved by the black citizenry of Memphis, and how anyone who ever disliked him is the worst kind of villain.

I have all but included the rays of light he emitted when making his saintly pronouncements, and expect to receive accolades for the clarity of my vision and discerning judgement in composition.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Malthus

The previous two posts have somewhat of a similarity.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Congrats Lettuce, I'm sure you're the shoo-in for the Council of Conservative Citizens' annual "Golden Noose" Award with that.

Lettow77

Quote from: Forrest's Canonization Papers
As Forrest's wealth rose in estimation, he provided for his family's education and, not content with charity that began and ended at home, took a substantial loss investing in an academy to bring higher education to Hernando, Mississippi. (Forrest, of course, thought only of others, and neglected his own educational attainment.)

alfred russel

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 02, 2013, 06:35:36 PM
I have all but included the rays of light he emitted when making his saintly pronouncements, and expect to receive accolades for the clarity of my vision and discerning judgement in composition.

I have some doubts.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

"His wealth rose in estimation?"

Razgovory

The Klan rally in Memphis didn't go over that well last week.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: alfred russel on April 02, 2013, 07:00:12 PM

I have some doubts.

:lol:
and the horse you rode in on

Neil

I have, after much toil, nearly finished a staggeringly partisan capstone paper on Forrest. It contains wonderful lines such as "..Regrettably, the Union was unable to measure up to the comparatively virtuous Forrest's standard of moral rectitude.." and "..To his credit, Forrest did not sink to this base and iniquitous standard of conduct.. "

Much ado is made of how he was loved by the black citizenry of Memphis, and how anyone who ever disliked him is the worst kind of villain.

Wasn't he a slave trader though?  Surely that makes his 'moral rectitude' much less than pretty much anyone who isn't Hitler?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lettow77

In twenty five pages I did not see fit to mention that Forrest dealt in slaves.

Someone else's paper can cover it.