News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

I've survived three weeks without food. But those MREs really do a number on your system.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 04, 2013, 03:31:19 PM
I've survived three weeks without food. But those MREs really do a number on your system.

Bet you didn't shit for weeks.  And when you did, it had the atomic weight of strontium.

derspiess

I went through a weird phase during my ROTC days where I really liked some of the MRE's-- I'd eat them even when not in the field.  Started to sour on them towards the end of my senior year, though.  Don't think I'd be able to go near them these days.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

I had two ROTC roommates in college, and when I burned up my food allowance on my card, ate their MREs through the last week and finals.  I'll never do it again, short of a zombiepocalypse.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 04, 2013, 03:37:47 PM
I had two ROTC roommates in college, and when I burned up my food allowance on my card, ate their MREs through the last week and finals.  I'll never do it again, short of a zombiepocalypse.

Trying to remember the ones I liked.  I think maybe spaghetti, omelette, chicken a la king, and chicken & rice.  The ham slice always made me gag.  Used to love the freeze-dried fruit.  Wish you could find that more places, actually.  To stay awake I used to dump the instant coffee on the back of my tongue & wash it down with water.  And for some reason I always used to hoard those little bottles of Tabasco sauce.

I never had a problem with constipation from MREs in the field-- only when there was less physical activity or sometimes when I was eating them at home.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

David Tennant - why do people find him attractive? He really isn't so great...:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 04, 2013, 03:32:56 PM

Bet you didn't shit for weeks.  And when you did, it had the atomic weight of strontium.

Understated.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 04, 2013, 04:31:03 PM
That woman who tried out for the NFL failed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/03/04/katie-hnida-says-lauren-silberman-was-terrible/1961559/

Video is embarrassing.

She had never kicked in an actual football game before.  What possibly could've gone wrong? 

Admiral Yi

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/03/04/katie-hnida-says-lauren-silberman-was-terrible/1961559/

Video is embarrassing.

What's the deal on this other chick that played for New Mexico or somesuch?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

fhdz

Video is embarrassing.

Christ. :lol: Poor girl, that had to be one of the most embarrassing moments of her life.
and the horse you rode in on

frunk

Quote from: DGuller on March 01, 2013, 12:49:11 PM
I don't see any other way to compare passwords for similarity without having them unencrypted (especially against a next-to-last password, which wouldn't even be entered on a "new password" screen).  You can check to see if the passwords are exactly the same, just by storing all of the encrypted ones. 

However, I just don't see how you can check if the passwords are almost the same without needing them to be unencrypted.  If encryption system made similar unencrypted passwords also look similar when encrypted, then it's a very crappy encryption system, because someone trying to guess it will know how close he's getting to the right password.

It could be that they aren't using a proper one-way encryption, and they are unencrypting the stored value to do the compare.  Which effectively means it isn't usefully encrypted, but it would look like it was.

Alternatively the password change form itself could require entering the old password, allowing it to compare right at the moment without storing the value.

derspiess

Quote from: fahdiz on March 04, 2013, 04:54:03 PM
Poor girl, that had to be one of the most embarrassing moments of her life.

Don't do that.