Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2013, 12:39:37 PM
That it's likely storing passwords unencrypted if it's able to compare.  No way we'd pass the multiple audits we endure if that were the case.
I don't see any other way to compare passwords for similarity without having them unencrypted (especially against a next-to-last password, which wouldn't even be entered on a "new password" screen).  You can check to see if the passwords are exactly the same, just by storing all of the encrypted ones. 

However, I just don't see how you can check if the passwords are almost the same without needing them to be unencrypted.  If encryption system made similar unencrypted passwords also look similar when encrypted, then it's a very crappy encryption system, because someone trying to guess it will know how close he's getting to the right password.

derspiess

Okay, thanks for the input DG.  We'll take it from here :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 01, 2013, 12:41:52 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2013, 12:29:34 PM
Amateurs.  There are several password tools available where you can securely store and retrieve passwords.  No excuse for writing it down on a post-it and leaving it on your monitor.

Again, once people stop whining about it they can adjust.

That's barely any better than writing it down on a post-it affix to your monitor. One more database for the Chinese to hack.

No.  It's much better.  Our exposure to Chinese hackers is relatively low (my understanding is that we're just not the target they prefer), whereas we routinely have contractors, clients, etc. walking through our work areas.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

The hacker is looking for the info though, the contractor probably isn't.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2013, 01:09:48 PMNo.  It's much better.  Our exposure to Chinese hackers is relatively low (my understanding is that we're just not the target they prefer), whereas we routinely have contractors, clients, etc. walking through our work areas.

That's why I always put the post it underneath the computer (if it's a laptop). Sometimes I write the password on a random page of my notebook instead :yeah:

DGuller

derspiess

Actually I'll let our data security folks and auditors take it from there and not let some accountant get me worried.

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2013, 02:18:05 PM
Actually I'll let our data security folks and auditors take it from there and not let some accountant get me worried.
What a cunt.

Sheilbh

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 26, 2013, 06:11:58 PM
BTW, the difference from 93 to 02 to 05 makes no sense. They must have changes the definition of obese, look at the 15%.
That's what struck me. I don't know what caused it. Maybe as someone said consoles and PCs etc. People aren't as active when they're young and it's more difficult in later life?
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Admiral Yi

The State Department just okayed the Keystone pipeline.

mongers

Sterling slides to 1.50 against the Dollar.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"