Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 26, 2013, 05:06:45 PM
Wonder what got invented in 1990 to start that trend  :hmm:
Crystal Pepsi? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Liep

It'll probably continue rising until the current generation of fat kids grow up to be impotent.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: PDH on February 26, 2013, 05:19:41 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 26, 2013, 05:06:45 PM
Wonder what got invented in 1990 to start that trend  :hmm:

SNES

It could be that, but it doesn't seem to be enough on its own if you ask me.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Shit, someone must have done a study on why Americans are so damned fat. Canadians too, for that matter. We lag behind in fatness, but are catching up.  :lol:

My own thought is that much of it has to do with ever-increasing portion sizes in foods bought either premade or at reataurants.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

I saw an obesity map of Europe once. IIRC the fattest countries were the UK and Scandinavia.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

There has to be something behind the trend, and it is quite a scary trend when you consider the consequences.  The trend is also stark when you look at footage of random people from 1980ies, and see how painfully thin they are by today's standards.

lustindarkness

That shows that southern food is good. :mmm:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

I'm sure I read somewhere that Mexico is now the fattest country in the world.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

lustindarkness

BTW, the difference from 93 to 02 to 05 makes no sense. They must have changes the definition of obese, look at the 15%.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 26, 2013, 06:11:58 PM
BTW, the difference from 93 to 02 to 05 makes no sense. They must have changes the definition of obese, look at the 15%.
I'm not seeing it.

lustindarkness

Quote from: DGuller on February 26, 2013, 06:14:12 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on February 26, 2013, 06:11:58 PM
I'm not seeing it.

Look at the 15% - 19% on the 2002 map. Did all those people lose wight for the 2005 map?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom