And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Phillip V on March 02, 2013, 11:35:33 AM
Why doesn't your dad listen to you? :(
Good question.  He does ask me for advice all the time, though, he just never listens to it.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

What's the range of possible outcomes?  Could it be a new site that is very incompetent, and actually legitimate?  Do they send out a refurbished iPad even while claiming it's new?  Do they send out a fake?  Or do they just not send out anything at all?  Is there any hacking potential, if they use PayPal?

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on March 02, 2013, 11:48:06 AM
What's the range of possible outcomes?  Could it be a new site that is very incompetent, and actually legitimate?  Do they send out a refurbished iPad even while claiming it's new?  Do they send out a fake?  Or do they just not send out anything at all?  Is there any hacking potential, if they use PayPal?

Dunno. Unlikely. Dunno. Dunno. Dunno. Dunno.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on March 02, 2013, 11:50:42 AM

Dunno. Unlikely. Dunno. Dunno. Dunno. Dunno.
Thanks!  Does anyone have anything to add?

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on March 02, 2013, 11:36:52 AM
Yep, I knew it.  Called my dad again to share the fact that this site has no phone and address, and he told me "he took a risk". :bleeding:  I know my dad too well.  For an intelligent man who grew up in Soviet Union, his gullibility knows no limits.

It's a good thing he grew up in the kinder gentler Soviet Union.  "DO YOU WANT TO COME TO ANTI-STALIN MEETING? FREE APPLE." "OKAY."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Phillip V

http://whois.domaintools.com/saleoffplaza.com

Does the address and phone number registered to the domain name seem legit?

456 high st
california, ca 90089
+1.6767676767

DGuller

:frusty:  Good God.  :(  I hope he just loses $250 and gets a lesson out of it.  Is there any way to have PayPal cancel the payment, or is it too late?

garbon

Paypal does have a dispute resolution center. They got me my money back once.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on March 02, 2013, 12:42:25 PM
So you can wait until a slab of clay arrives, dispute it, and still get your money back?

garbon

Well I don't know what happens with total scams but I know that back in the day I'd ordered a flatscreen monitor that either didn't arrive or arrived banged up (can't recall :blush:). Put in a dispute claim on paypal and within a few weeks had my $140 back in my paypal account.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on March 02, 2013, 12:44:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 02, 2013, 12:42:25 PM
So you can wait until a slab of clay arrives, dispute it, and still get your money back?

Or if there's non-delivery. I had that once. Contacted the shop twice, asking them for shipment info/ETA of my order. Then informed them that I'd hand this over to PayPal. I explained the case to PayPal and sent them my emails. PayPal then had things sorted out within a week.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I can recall using paypal dispute resolution once but the shop it was with was very co-operative about it all and gave me my money back. They just hadn't sent it because it was out of stock and something had gone wrong somewhere with me not getting an email to tell me. The system didn't seem it would be too great if there was a real conflict.

I guess though if this is a scam its a pretty big one which won't just be getting your dad. Will be lots of people wanting their money back and the whole thing will seem rather obvious. The key in the scam I guess will be that they don't send anything and when customers ask whats up they'll keep making excuses until the 28 day (IIRC) period during which transactions can be disputed will expire.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Could it be a PayPal scam itself?  They make it look like you're paying with PayPal, but actually it's a fake site to get your password for PayPal?

garbon

I don't think that's it. It does send you to a paypal secure site.