The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 01, 2013, 10:26:53 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2013, 10:13:23 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 01, 2013, 09:10:20 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2013, 07:37:02 PM
The State Department just okayed the Keystone pipeline.
Why is the state department involved? Wouldn't the department of the interior, energy or the EPA be more appropriate?

Because it crosses an international border.
The reasons it was held up though had nothing to do with foreign policy though, it was about American environmental concerns.

You asked why the State Department is involved.  I told you.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2013, 10:25:49 PM
Also, who has a flip phone these days?

Obviously a single mother who doesn't have somebody to share that MOMA experience with other than the most important person in the world to her, a brief moment with a priceless work of art, and somebody who forgoes the trappings of the latest cellphone as she's pouring every available dollar she has into her baby, because it's just the two of them in this world.   You judgmental whore.

CountDeMoney

Why is the state department involved? Wouldn't the department of the interior, energy or the EPA be more appropriate?

The reasons it was held up though had nothing to do with foreign policy though, it was about American environmental concerns.

You need to go stuff your head in a pipeline.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2013, 10:35:38 PM

Ok, I understand why they're involved. A better phrased question would have been, why is the State Department the one issuing the go ahead, when the issue at hand is environmental.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Why are most of the kid song videos on YouTube sung by foreigners? Lola just listened to some Kraut dude singing "Fazzuh finguh, fazzuh finguh, verr ah you?"
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2013, 10:40:48 PM

Obviously a single mother who doesn't have somebody to share that MOMA experience with other than the most important person in the world to her, a brief moment with a priceless work of art, and somebody who forgoes the trappings of the latest cellphone as she's pouring every available dollar she has into her baby, because it's just the two of them in this world.   You judgmental whore.

Darling, I have the cheapest phone that AT&T allows you to currently purchase. It isn't even a flip phone.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2013, 11:58:42 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 01, 2013, 11:25:02 AM
Not allowing it makes it even worse. The more you make it harder to remember a password the more likely it's going to be written down.
It's a pain, for sure.  But data security is a huge priority where I work given the nature of the data we process and it's required for certain certifications we hold, so I can't argue.  They give us an easy-to-use password management application and it's not too painful to get help resetting your password if you get locked out.
Paul Brown's secret vault of plays is serious business. :P
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

I forgot to mention that the MoMA had an exhibit on various video games (some of which could be played like Flow and Katamari Damacy). They also had a video of someone playing SimCity 2000. :wub:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 01, 2013, 10:49:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2013, 10:35:38 PM

Ok, I understand why they're involved. A better phrased question would have been, why is the State Department the one issuing the go ahead, when the issue at hand is environmental.

State isn't issueing the go ahead.  They just issued a report.  Obama is the one issueing the go ahead.

As to why?  Because Keystone XL has become absurdly politicized.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

The Kunstkammer at Kunsthistorisches Museum has opened yesterday after being closed for 10 years for renovations. I will check out their collection either his weekend or next. :)

QuoteThe Kunst- und Wunderkammern (arts and natural wonders rooms) of the Renaissance and Baroque periods were encyclopaedic, universal collections that attempted to reflect the entire knowledge of the day. Particularly desirable were rare, curious and unusual objects. Thus princes and kings collected exotic and uncommon materials, to which they often ascribed magical powers, such as precious stones, ostrich eggs, coral and shark's teeth, which were considered to be dragon's tongues. From these natural products, artists created virtuoso works of art.

The Kunstkammer Wien is unique in the world. Its objects are of extraordinary quality, given the fact they were commissioned or purchased by the emperor or members of the imperial family.

Among the highlights in the Kunstkammer Wien are outstanding works of the goldsmith's art, such as the famous Saliera by Benvenuto Cellini, first-rate specimens of sculpture, such as the Krumau Madonna, masterly bronze statuettes, filigree and bizarre ivory objects and virtuoso stone vessels as well as precious clocks, complicated automatons, remarkable scientific instruments, precious games and much more.

The famous saliera was stolen a few years ago, but recovered. They made a special exhibition for that. It's rather gaudy for something that's functionally a salt container for the dinner table, but still rather magnificent.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2013, 11:21:28 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2013, 10:40:48 PM

Darling, I have the cheapest phone that AT&T allows you to currently purchase. It isn't even a flip phone.
doesnt mean you still can't get flip phone from AT&T
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Phillip V

The State Department only issued a revised environmental impact statement for the pipeline that makes no recommendation about whether the project should be built, but also presents no conclusive environmental reason it should not be.

Publication of the document next week starts a 45-day public comment period and then a protracted review before a final impact statement is issued, meaning a presidential decision on the project is still months away.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/02/us/us-report-sees-no-environmental-bar-to-keystone-pipeline.html

Syt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaverlick,_Kentucky

QuoteBeaverlick is an unincorporated community in Boone County, Kentucky, United States. Beaverlick is located along U.S. Route 42 and U.S. Route 127 4.5 miles (7.2 km) west of Walton. The community was established as a fur trading site between 1780 and 1820; its post office opened in 1853. The community's name came from its location at the source of the Beaver Branch of Big Bone Creek.
:perv:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.