News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Those states went from blue to brown. They got fatter.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Also the definition did change. Threshold for being considered obese dropped IIRC.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

I see it now, I should stop reading and posting from work when I can only take a glance.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

Man, I feel sorry for all you guys.  My internet was out due to snow and you guys had to be Razless for like 18 hours.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

So in 1990 no state had 20% or greater obesity, 20 years later no state has an obesity rate under 20%.  :blink:

I know it's not proper math, but if weight is a normal bell curve, we could be talking about an obesity increase of 1 percentile each year.  Or at least in that ball park. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: mongers on February 26, 2013, 07:28:35 PM
So in 1990 no state had 20% or greater obesity, 20 years later no state has an obesity rate under 20%.  :blink:

I know it's not proper math, but if weight is a normal bell curve, we could be talking about an obesity increase of 1 percentile each year.  Or at least in that ball park.

Yeah it's nuts. Too much too fast, and it's worldwide. It's hard to believe that our eating habits or exercise levels are really so vastly different than they were in the 80s.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 26, 2013, 07:38:16 PM
Yeah it's nuts. Too much too fast, and it's worldwide. It's hard to believe that our eating habits or exercise levels are really so vastly different than they were in the 80s.

If I recall my fast food history--and believe me, I know it better than I should--McDonald's begin their "SuperSize" meals as well as selling the double quarter pounder with cheese in the early 1990's.  1993 or 1994, I believe.
And don't think that didn't have anything to do with it.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on February 26, 2013, 05:46:33 PM
Shit, someone must have done a study on why Americans are so damned fat. Canadians too, for that matter. We lag behind in fatness, but are catching up.  :lol:

My own thought is that much of it has to do with ever-increasing portion sizes in foods bought either premade or at reataurants.

Nah...I'm sure that's part of it but not all. I wouldn't laugh at NES. I think it's  a combination of various things, but for sure sitting all day at their computers/ consoles/ what have you as opposed to playing street hockey plays a large part.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

It must be caused by GM foods.  :P

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2013, 11:23:44 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 26, 2013, 09:12:07 AM
is stagnatory a real word?
a google search suggests no....but sounds like it should be.

How would you use it differently from stagnate?

i'm in a stagnatory situation?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on February 26, 2013, 10:40:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2013, 11:23:44 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 26, 2013, 09:12:07 AM
is stagnatory a real word?
a google search suggests no....but sounds like it should be.

How would you use it differently from stagnate?

i'm in a stagnatory situation?

So as I said in my fix:
"i'm in a stagnant situation?"
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.