News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

The war between the Titan CEO and the French Industrial Renewal Minister Arnaud Montebourg continues with The minister being called an imbecile.

Hilarious.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on February 26, 2013, 09:12:07 AM
is stagnatory a real word?
a google search suggests no....but sounds like it should be.

How would you use it differently from stagnate?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on February 26, 2013, 08:56:30 AM
Quote from: HVC on February 26, 2013, 08:52:30 AM
Why doctors?

For the same reason as lawyers or cops - fear that their specialized expertise will naturally cause the rest of the jury to defer to them, particularly as so many cases are likely to involve medical or forensic evidence.

Of course, there also the risk of the opposite bias too - you hate members of one of those three groups and refuse to agree with them. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2013, 11:23:44 AM

A signatory is a person who signs, therefore a stagnatory is a person who stagnates.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2013, 11:40:20 AM

A signatory is a person who signs, therefore a stagnatory is a person who stagnates.

And how do combinatory or condemnatory fit that? ;)

garbon

That said I fucked up as I think whatever he'd use stagnatory for could be done by stagnant.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2013, 11:40:20 AM

Or perhaps a "stagnator"?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tamas

If you are interested, an english-subtitled Hungarian movie about a middle-aged guy, figure of the opposition in commie times, goes to the archives to figure out if the secret service had anything on him, and finds out that his best friend, a writer, was the snitch.

http://film.indavideo.hu/video/f_draga_besugott_barataim

It's a topic still alive, as the dirty secret pact which gave us our bloodless "revolution" of 1989 let a lot of the old functionaries into positions in the new world, probably all accross the current political spectrum. So still there is no full disclosure on the archives, and they are a mere tool for daily political games, with files appearing or dissappearing at seemingly random.

And its a very personal tale for the whole society as well. Informants ruined lives, and while they WERE collaborators, judgement on them is not entirely easy I think. Some of them were ideological supporters of course, but if the system picked you as possible informant, they also used coercion. If you declined to cooperate, your life was not less ruined than of the targets'.

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2013, 07:15:45 PM
Fascinating.  Another myth dispelled.

Of course, it's extremely rare for a lawyer to actually make it onto a jury, and I am no exception.  Struck from the jury pool after two boring days.

garbon

Interesting vis-a-vis the difficulty of purchasing concert tickets on ticketmaster.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/6-reasons-why-its-so-hard-to-buy-concert-tickets

MadImmortalMan

Percent of Americans obese.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Wonder what got invented in 1990 to start that trend  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2013, 02:42:05 PM
Interesting vis-a-vis the difficulty of purchasing concert tickets on ticketmaster.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/6-reasons-why-its-so-hard-to-buy-concert-tickets

The only thing that surprised me was the Amex slice.. didn't know it was almost half.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

derspiess

Sad.  You can tell a stark difference just by looking at pictures from the 1980s of large groups of people.  For example, I was looking at my elementary school class pictures and the "fat" kid in class (only had like 1 or 2 each year) seems the same size as the average kid today.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Josephus on February 26, 2013, 05:11:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2013, 02:42:05 PM

The only thing that surprised me was the Amex slice.. didn't know it was almost half.

I guess they're not lying on those commercials after all.  Never took advantage of that with my Amex card.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall