And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on February 10, 2013, 07:37:53 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 10, 2013, 07:20:11 PM
I'm going to have to back Neil on this one.  Everything after Aliens has been crap.

:( You're siding with Tim

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.  Unless it's on fire or something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on February 10, 2013, 11:07:10 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 10, 2013, 12:21:28 PM
The Game of Life is a much more accurate portrayal of the modern economy anyway.  Put your cash on the Market strip, spin the spinner, watch your retirement disappear gambling on Wall Street.

I miss the old sets where you could sell your children.

:)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Yay! We get to watch for white smoke again.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

I've never in my life that I can recall finished a game of monopoly.  It always went on way too long and people had to leave.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

We always had trades, sometimes involving 3 or more people, where everyone ended up with a monopoly.

Also I just realized why Park Place always seemed to be the hardest property to get- it's 7 spaces after the Go to Jail square. So statistically it is going to be the least likely square to land on.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

The Game of Life is a much more accurate portrayal of the modern economy anyway.  Put your cash on the Market strip, spin the spinner, watch your retirement disappear gambling on Wall Street.

You can't do that anymore?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Yeah we used to do trades too. In fact that was the fun part. After all deeds were sold we would trade back and forth  until everyone had monopolies. My strategy was always to get the Park Place monopoly and the cheap brown one, the first trio right after Start. This gave you a nice, yet affordable, strip to own. Putting hotels on those cheap brown properties was capable of bankrupting people, especially if they just finished paying rent on the dark blue properties.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on February 11, 2013, 09:52:37 AM

You can't do that anymore?

As far as I remember, in the newer sets you don't get cash for the children you had.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

That was the only point to having those four kids in your car, is you got to cash them in  at the end.

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on February 11, 2013, 01:33:40 PM
That was the only point to having those four kids in your car, is you got to cash them in  at the end.

I think now when you have that happen - you get a life tile which I think is typically worth some hidden amount of money (you flip over once you are retiring). So now less about child slave auction. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

The inventor of The Etch and Sketch was a Frenchman! :o

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive