News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on February 09, 2013, 11:28:35 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on February 08, 2013, 10:48:04 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2013, 10:43:49 AMWTF?  Unfairly?  Bias?  What the hell are you talking about?
well, unless i've misunderstood your argument, your complaint toward the film is that you did not like an aspect of the story. so, if you told others the movie sucked because you may have disliked that certain part, it would be unfair given your bias
No it wouldn't.  Bias is absolutely critical to matters of opinion.  Trying to eliminate bias is silly.

Note that when I make this post that I am biased against overthinking things, and also biased against movies that pointlessly and needlessly slaughter the beloved characters of the previous film in the series.

Transformers: The Movie: discuss.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 10, 2013, 08:17:18 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2013, 10:43:49 AMWTF?  Unfairly?  Bias?  What the hell are you talking about?
well, unless i've misunderstood your argument, your complaint toward the film is that you did not like an aspect of the story. so, if you told others the movie sucked because you may have disliked that certain part, it would be unfair given your bias
No it wouldn't.  Bias is absolutely critical to matters of opinion.  Trying to eliminate bias is silly.

Note that when I make this post that I am biased against overthinking things, and also biased against movies that pointlessly and needlessly slaughter the beloved characters of the previous film in the series.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 10, 2013, 08:23:36 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 10, 2013, 08:17:18 AM

OK.  Transformers: The Movie (1986).
Kinemalogue

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Phillip V

Go Directly to Success: Monopoly's Lessons

'In real life, as in the game: Stay diversified, acquire railroads and don't fall for pricey prestige properties.'

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324590904578288400723946868.html

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on February 10, 2013, 11:17:13 AM

'In real life, as in the game: Stay diversified, acquire railroads and don't fall for pricey prestige properties.'

And, in real life, as in the game, see how wages haven't increased.  Same $200.

DGuller

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324590904578288400723946868.html

What a rare good article in WSJ.  It's a shame there is no good Monopoly online game.

CountDeMoney

The Game of Life is a much more accurate portrayal of the modern economy anyway.  Put your cash on the Market strip, spin the spinner, watch your retirement disappear gambling on Wall Street.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 10, 2013, 11:21:59 AM

And, in real life, as in the game, see how wages haven't increased.  Same $200.

Monopoly is still outperforming reality by assuming every player gets paid.
Kinemalogue

Tonitrus

And can be sent to jail for no particularly good reason.  :sleep:

Admiral Yi

Terrible advice.  Railroads are crap.  Utilities are crap.  You win Monopoly by lucking into a monopoly or taking advantage of weaker players to buy missing parts of a monopoly.

Phillip V

Start a Languish Monopoly game.

Razgovory

You win Monopoly by playing the hat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

That's true.  The hat has powerfull ju ju.