Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2013, 04:31:58 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2013, 12:31:45 PM
:lol:

Yeah, what makes animals so special? Just because they can move doesn't mean they "think" any better than plants do. Seriously, Ide, eat some shrimp.

I do eat shrimp.  Their nervous systems are probably not sufficiently advanced to generate any conscious qualia of pain.

You don't know that.  And I doubt you are a Shrimp Whisperer.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 06, 2013, 05:51:40 PM

Yeah, what makes animals so special? Just because they can move doesn't mean they "think" any better than plants do. Seriously, Ide, eat some shrimp.

I do eat shrimp.  Their nervous systems are probably not sufficiently advanced to generate any conscious qualia of pain.

Shush now, don't disturb the affectation.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Shrimp does however taste bad
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Shrimp tastes vastly different depending on how it's prepared.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

mongers

A new low in facebook 'communication' for me, a female acquaintance of mine sent me this message "habob", Bob is one version of my name, but what does this mean ?
I have so far resisted the temptation to reply in a Languish-like way.   <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Depending on context it may mean "Hey Bob!" or "Ha, Bob" /snicker
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 06, 2013, 05:51:40 PM

I said "probably."  They certainly exhibit nociception (that is, perception of negative stimuli), but so can machines.

What's disturbing is that some studies with arthropods indicate that they are capable of making trade-off decisions, i.e. accepting a negative stimulus in exchange for achieving some other goal.  This indicates that it in some arthropods, at least, responses to negative stimuli are not automatic, and that they are able to ignore negative stimuli if incentivized to do so, just like humans.  It only suggests, however, that they experience anything analogous to pain.  An unfeeling object could still react in the same manner.  Until we know exactly how conscious experience is mechanically achieved, we cannot know for sure; however, the simplicitly of arthropod nervous systems in comparison to vertebrate, or cephalopod, nervous systems, does not make a finding of consciousness obvious.  Whereas vertebrate and cephalopod brains are similar enough to human construction and human complexity that we can and really must assume the capacity for painful sensation.

I don't eat lobster, though.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 06, 2013, 01:40:15 PM
The German education minister had her degree revoked for plagiarism.

:P
Such a German scandal :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on February 06, 2013, 07:59:04 PM
Note to self:  when the time comes, do not cuss out the judge.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/giggling-woman-flips-judge-bird-judge-not-amused-210739814.html

Wow.  :huh:

How did this chick get to be so full of herself that she thought that would fly? She's laughing about it. No humility at all, just...indignation?. This is probably the first time princess has ever been disciplined in her life.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 06, 2013, 08:23:21 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/giggling-woman-flips-judge-bird-judge-not-amused-210739814.html

How did this chick get to be so full of herself that she thought that would fly? She's laughing about it. No humility at all, just...indignation?. This is probably the first time princess has ever been disciplined in her life.

At the same time, it is a shame that we often have to feign respect for people.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2013, 08:27:18 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 06, 2013, 08:23:21 PM

At the same time, it is a shame that we often have to feign respect for people.

You respect the position, not the person.

garbon

I think only respect certain positions. :perv:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney