News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

Clearly western world is declining.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on October 01, 2012, 08:20:12 AM
Bugs on produce? :o

I freaked out a little inside when I found at that fruit flies come from in/on the fruit, and not just attracted to it.

Then I continued the nom nom.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 01, 2012, 11:10:33 AM
Then I continued the nom nom.

Like we all have, for the last 200,000 years.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 01, 2012, 06:04:52 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 01, 2012, 02:54:28 AM
I :lol: because of how damn 21st century that is.
Isn't the point of camping to get away from all that? Even taking a caravan is somewhat pushing things from the get go

Yeah, they're not exactly roughing it with that condo on wheels they have.

I can understand the mindset of wanting to get out into nature, having a campfire, etc. but also wanting a comfortable place to sleep.

I prefer to camp primitively myself, but to each his own.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

My family's most infamous camping trip ending up with us camping at a Marriott near Sequoia.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2012, 11:18:10 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 01, 2012, 06:04:52 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 01, 2012, 02:54:28 AM
I :lol: because of how damn 21st century that is.
Isn't the point of camping to get away from all that? Even taking a caravan is somewhat pushing things from the get go

Yeah, they're not exactly roughing it with that condo on wheels they have.

I can understand the mindset of wanting to get out into nature, having a campfire, etc. but also wanting a comfortable place to sleep.

I would prefer to tent it myself, but wife got freaked out over bears camping in Yukon (not a completely ridiculous concern).  So we got a small hard-sided trailer.  Gives you a dry and secure place out of the rain, but you can pee in the middle of the night without unzipping a tent.  But no one would ever accuse you of living in comfort inside a 16' trailer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

30 years ago, my parents had no problem with a tent.
But at 67, as my Dad says countless times about countless things, he's too old for that bullshit.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grinning_Colossus

The Georgian opposition just won the parliamentary election -- with either 51% or 63% depending on the political orientation of the pollster. No word on Saakashvili's reaction yet.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 01, 2012, 11:39:46 AM

30 years ago, my parents had no problem with a tent.
But at 67, as my Dad says countless times about countless things, he's too old for that bullshit.

Not surprisingly, I don't really get the appeal of camping. I totally get wanting to go out and see nature - but I don't really understand buying equipment and then living about for several days in more primitive conditions. 

Only real reason I could see for that is to see places that one can't really access/reach within a day of civilization.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on October 01, 2012, 01:21:11 PM
Not surprisingly, I don't really get the appeal of camping. I totally get wanting to go out and see nature - but I don't really understand buying equipment and then living about for several days in more primitive conditions. 

Only real reason I could see for that is to see places that one can't really access/reach within a day of civilization.

Have you been camping? 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 01, 2012, 12:43:55 PM
The Georgian opposition just won the parliamentary election -- with either 51% or 63% depending on the political orientation of the pollster. No word on Saakashvili's reaction yet.

Calm, measured and rational ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"