Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on September 25, 2012, 08:46:43 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2012, 08:45:33 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 25, 2012, 01:59:04 AM
QuoteFacebook's plans for world domination. Pretty brilliant in my opinion.

http://qz.com/5180/facebooks-plan-to-find-its-next-billion-users-convince-them-the-internet-and-facebook-are-the-same/
Yep, I recall posting something about this a while ago. The current fight between google and facebook with microsoft lagging well behind is about going "over the top" in the way windows went over the top of dos.

Actually all that article seems to suggest is how facebook is working to make sure it is easy to access from everyone. The bits about how they could make money with this strategy receive very few words.

Also, they aren't really showing facebook becoming the internet but rather how all of these internet users also use facebook.

Actually?
:huh:

Well yes, I'm not convinced by the notion of facebook revolutionizing life - so to me the big bit is how they leverage their presence into cash.  Their strategy to expand their market is impressive but I think "facebook and internet are the same" / "world domination" don't really describe that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I just mean I don't understand your post, describing what was in Tim's article.

I agree that facebook won't suceed in becoming the internet. IMO social media is all just a big fad which is really being overegged at the moment. It's going to keep being around for some time to come though the attention and money it gets these days is ridiculous and overblown.

Lately FB have attacked their problem with mobile advertising I've noticed. A lot more annoying ads on mobile fb.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on September 25, 2012, 09:35:56 AM

I agree that facebook won't suceed in becoming the internet. IMO social media is all just a big fad which is really being overegged at the moment. It's going to keep being around for some time to come though the attention and money it gets these days is ridiculous and overblown.

Lately FB have attacked their problem with mobile advertising I've noticed. A lot more annoying ads on mobile fb.

Well what you've described in your next two paragraphs is pretty similar to my point. Tim and the article were overly dramatic.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Facebook will die when it starts charging for parts of it. Something that will eventually come.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Neat little mosque in North Dakota: http://30mosques.com/archive2010/2010/09/day-22-ross-north-dakota-a-leap-in-time/ - built on the site of the first mosque in the US.

Zanza

Quote from: Tyr on September 25, 2012, 09:35:56 AM

I wonder whether the Facebook API is open enough to build a free of advertisment client for iOS or Android.

Josephus

I think Facebook is here to stay.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on September 25, 2012, 03:47:37 PM
I think Facebook is here to stay.

What does that even mean? Almost all companies eventually go away (or become completely unrecognizable from what they were).

Eddie Teach

Sure, but some last a century or two first.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 25, 2012, 03:56:25 PM
Sure, but some last a century or two first.

I'm not sure there are many companies today that meet that and the staying recognizable as they were when they started.

More importantly, we're talking about something more ephemeral - an internet company.  Now while facebook definitely has higher penetration that its predecessors - I'm not sure we have sufficient historical data to suggest that a social media site is here to stay.

Jacob

Josephus didn't say "the data indicates that Facebook is here to stay."

He said "I think Facebook is here to stay."

Totally different.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 25, 2012, 04:02:44 PM
Josephus didn't say "the data indicates that Facebook is here to stay."

He said "I think Facebook is here to stay."

Totally different.

And my point/question I guess is what is out there to suggest that? Historical data would suggest otherwise minus the wildcard of facebook's large user base.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2012, 04:03:41 PM
And my point/question I guess is what is out there to suggest that? Historical data would suggest otherwise minus the wildcard of facebook's large user base.

True enough.

Personally, I think some sort of Facebook like way of managing personal information and communication will continue to stick around and evolve, but I'm not sure about the company itself.