And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2012, 10:36:55 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 24, 2012, 07:35:24 PM
Just watched a show on History Channel about a hurricane hitting NYC.  The innumeracy displayed there is just infuriating.  They had one "expert" find evidence of 1893 hurricane, and from that conclude that major hurricanes should strike NYC every 75 years.  The last one was in 1938, so we're almost "due".  The fact that "once in 75 year" hurricanes happened in 1893 and 1938 didn't seem to raise any doubts in his mind as to the validity of the "due" thinking.

Didn't the metro area just have a hurricane last fall?
Irene wasn't nearly strong enough to count.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on August 24, 2012, 10:39:32 PM
Just watched a show on History Channel about a hurricane hitting NYC.  The innumeracy displayed there is just infuriating.  They had one "expert" find evidence of 1893 hurricane, and from that conclude that major hurricanes should strike NYC every 75 years.  The last one was in 1938, so we're almost "due".  The fact that "once in 75 year" hurricanes happened in 1893 and 1938 didn't seem to raise any doubts in his mind as to the validity of the "due" thinking.

She sure fucked up a lot of places further up in New York.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2012, 10:50:52 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 24, 2012, 10:39:32 PM

She sure fucked up a lot of places further up in New York.
My point applies just the same.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2012, 10:36:13 PM
Did I miss something? Mainly pictures of the same woman show up on all filters although more of them on off and moderate vs. strict.

I like her hat and scarf.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 24, 2012, 05:45:40 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 24, 2012, 05:37:15 PM
"You can take the girl out of New York, but you can't take New York out of the girl."

Does that help ?

So for example, DGuller carries a little bit of Poland and Montenegro wherever he goes?  :huh:

His father gave him a small piece of land.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Larch

Shame on Timmay from witholding this viral gem of Korean music.  :lmfao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

Admiral Yi

Lusti: I tried out your gag at the boozer last night.  I got 4 hits (one a grand slam) and two strikeouts.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Larch on August 25, 2012, 07:12:00 PM
Shame on Timmay from witholding this viral gem of Korean music.  :lmfao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0
A poignant satire of the rampant consumerism/appearance is everything culture of Korea.  :sleep:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on August 24, 2012, 10:12:14 PM
More internet weirdness, google "nice looking woman" with the safe search option off,  go on I dare you:

Did I miss something? Mainly pictures of the same woman show up on all filters although more of them on off and moderate vs. strict.
It is a little weird that there are so many pictures of the same woman with a headscarf. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 25, 2012, 09:03:56 PM
More internet weirdness, google "nice looking woman" with the safe search option off,  go on I dare you:

It is a little weird that there are so many pictures of the same woman with a headscarf.

Yeah that was my point; it contrasts rather oddly with the typical google results for quite innocent search queries, say like "attractive readhead", which invariable produce rather gruesome results.  :(

The other day I was searching for something innocuous like details of a plant's leaves/colour and the page all but filled with a lot of non-relevant, rather unpleasant anatomical stuff, if you get what I mean.  :x
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

10% of US K-8 students repeat at least one grade.

Ideologue

Quote from: mongers on August 25, 2012, 09:42:54 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 25, 2012, 09:03:56 PM

Yeah that was my point; it contrasts rather oddly with the typical google results for quite innocent search queries, say like "attractive readhead", which invariable produce rather gruesome results.  :(

The other day I was searching for something innocuous like details of a plant's leaves/colour and the page all but filled with a lot of non-relevant, rather unpleasant anatomical stuff, if you get what I mean.  :x

Tell me the exact search term, and I reckon I can tell you why you were asking for it.

:P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 25, 2012, 10:16:58 PM
10% of US K-8 students repeat at least one grade.

What about K-9 students?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

4 months till Christmas. Naturally, Vienna's supermarkets are putting the first seasonal products on the shelf: gingerbread. WHILE IT'S 30°C OUTSIDE! Chocolate stuff usually follows around late September/early October.

:bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Costco has had christmas stuff for 3 weeks now.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.