News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Speaking of which, the Daily Express's headline:

QuoteSENIOR Eurocrats are secretly plotting to create a super-powerful EU president to realise their dream of abolishing ­Britain, we can reveal.

A covert group of EU foreign ministers has drawn up plans for merging the jobs currently done by Herman Van Rompuy, president of the European Council, and Jose Manuel Barroso, president of the European Commission.

The new bureaucrat, who would not be directly elected by voters, is set to get sweeping control over the entire EU and force member countries into ever-greater political and economic union.

Opponents fear the plan could create a modern-day equivalent of the European emperor envisaged by Napoleon Bonaparte or a return to the Holy Roman Empire of Charlemagne that dominated Europe in the Dark Ages.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

The only Emperor Napoleon envisaged for Europe was himself as Emperor and there is no modern equivalent  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2012, 05:43:08 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 03, 2012, 05:22:52 PMThe best part is the outraged commentators who are convinced that the lion could break through the glass & eat the tyke.  :D

I accept that it's perfectly rational to conclude that the kid is safe.

Nonetheless, I'd never put my kid in that position. I know... the lion won't break through the glass... but what if?

I mean... windows in skyscrapers don't pop out, non matter how much force you apply to them from the inside. You can safely jump right at them, right? Still... I'm not going to do it.

The difference is that the glass in a zoo is designed and intended to prevent lions from leaping through it, as it forms part of the lion's cage.

The glass windows in skyscrapers is not, in fact, designed or intended to prevent lawyers from leaping through it, because skyscrapers are metaphorical and not literal cages for lawyers and business-types.   ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 03, 2012, 06:54:03 PM
Quote from: PDH on May 03, 2012, 06:20:51 PM
I remember reading about a guy who died driving on the highway.  It is perceived threat that makes us stop doing things, not the actual threat likelihood.

Also there's a rationale for driving on the highway beyond courting death.

There's a rationale for going to the zoo as well - to see the animals.

If you guys think that zoos are inherently unsafe because there is a realistic chance of the animals busting out of their cages and eating people in the viewing area, it makes sense not to go to zoos at all.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on May 03, 2012, 05:22:52 PMThe best part is the outraged commentators who are convinced that the lion could break through the glass & eat the tyke.  :D

Nonetheless, I'd never put my kid in that position. I know... the lion won't break through the glass... but what if?

I mean... windows in skyscrapers don't pop out, non matter how much force you apply to them from the inside. You can safely jump right at them, right? Still... I'm not going to do it.

It's a Lion, if it somehow broke the glass. You being 5inches from the glass or 5 feet won't change anything. You are fucked.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Have you guys not seen the first Harry Potter movie? Remember the fat kid and the snake ?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Lettow77

Moving out of the dorms for the summer. I'll be living with my roommate until my flight to Japan- it's so awkward to impose. I regret that I don't have a home of my own, but i'm blessed to have a friend who will let me impose under his roof, and a gracious, generous family.

They wouldn't accept rent, but I feel like I should pay them back somehow. Wonderful folks- oh well.

It's embarrassing to impose! It makes me blush thinking about it..
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2012, 10:28:46 AM

It's a Lion, if it somehow broke the glass. You being 5inches from the glass or 5 feet won't change anything. You are fucked.

Exactly.

If Jacob & co. were consistent, they really shouldn't go to the zoo at all - too risky.

Ed Anger

That was why CCW laws were made. To shoot rampaging animals.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Heard on NPR the other day that the California State University faculty union is going on strike over pay and working conditions.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 04, 2012, 10:50:44 AM

You laugh, but there have been a couple of occasions when one or more of my neighbors have had to shoot at coyotes coming after their backyard pets.  :P

The sneaky bastards get one female in heat to sit in the ravine and howl to lure out peoples' dogs while the rest of the pack hides waiting to ambush fido.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2012, 11:00:02 AM
Heard on NPR the other day that the California State University faculty union is going on strike over pay and working conditions.

Yeah that is going to go over like a lead balloon.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 04, 2012, 11:08:44 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 04, 2012, 10:50:44 AM

You laugh, but there have been a couple of occasions when one or more of my neighbors have had to shoot at coyotes coming after their backyard pets.  :P

The sneaky bastards get one female in heat to sit in the ravine and howl to lure out peoples' dogs while the rest of the pack hides waiting to ambush fido.

You better not host the Brain.  :P

Razgovory

Is it just me, or is Marty stupider then usual today?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 04, 2012, 10:42:07 AM
Moving out of the dorms for the summer. I'll be living with my roommate until my flight to Japan- it's so awkward to impose. I regret that I don't have a home of my own, but i'm blessed to have a friend who will let me impose under his roof, and a gracious, generous family.

They wouldn't accept rent, but I feel like I should pay them back somehow. Wonderful folks- oh well.

It's embarrassing to impose! It makes me blush thinking about it..

Whatever you do, don't accept the fruit cup.