Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 23, 2012, 08:51:09 AM
Quote from: ulmont on April 23, 2012, 08:49:59 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2012, 07:26:52 AM
My knowledge of Cat Stevens' play list is pretty extensive but I can't bring to mind any lyrics about paying off credit card balances.  :hmm:

"Another Saturday night, and I ain't got nobody; I got some money 'cause I just got paid..."

That's Sam Cooke, muttski.  HE DID IT FIRST

Thank you for putting him in his place, cause I woulda.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

ulmont

My knowledge of Cat Stevens' play list is pretty extensive but I can't bring to mind any lyrics about paying off credit card balances.  :hmm:

"Another Saturday night, and I ain't got nobody; I got some money 'cause I just got paid..."

Lemme guess...you also claim Blowin' in the Wind and All Along the Watchtower are Bob Dylan songs?

katmai

:yes:

And R-E-S-P-E-C-T is an Otis Redding song.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

I only knew the Cooke version, my Cat Stevens knowledge doesn't extend very far past "Wild World".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: ulmont on April 23, 2012, 08:53:01 AM

Lemme guess...you also claim Blowin' in the Wind and All Along the Watchtower are Bob Dylan songs?

And Blue Suede Shoes belongs to Carl Perkins.  :mad:

Barrister

Little Tim made it through his first night in his big-boy bed without a hitch. :thumbsup:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

So what about Tapestry? Do those songs belong to the original artists, or to the songwriter who was covering them?

Syt

In a Catholic parish in Lower Austria, a gay dude has been elected with huge majority into the parish council. Cardinal Schönborn was a bit taken aback, but he sat down with the guy for a chat and concluded that his Catholic conviction is so strong that there's no problem with him serving in that role.

However, the priest in the parish has threatened to step down because of it. Meanwhile, the priest's former housekeeper has stepped up and proclaimed that she and the priest had a torrid afair a few years ago.

Beautiful comedic potential. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I see nothing wrong with a gay man being elected Parish President.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2012, 09:53:55 AM
In a Catholic parish in Lower Austria, a gay dude has been elected with huge majority into the parish council. Cardinal Schönborn was a bit taken aback, but he sat down with the guy for a chat and concluded that his Catholic conviction is so strong that there's no problem with him serving in that role.

However, the priest in the parish has threatened to step down because of it. Meanwhile, the priest's former housekeeper has stepped up and proclaimed that she and the priest had a torrid afair a few years ago.

Beautiful comedic potential. :lol:

Hey, at least it tends to show the priest isn't gay.  :D

Typically the religious dude protesting about the GAY MENACE turns out to be into guys himself on the sly ...   ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2012, 09:09:15 AM
Little Tim made it through his first night in his big-boy bed without a hitch. :thumbsup:

Well, he'd better - after all, he's now teaching in Korea.

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2012, 10:11:20 AM
Typically the religious dude protesting about the GAY MENACE turns out to be into guys himself on the sly ...   ;)

If it's typical why does it always make the news?

Razgovory

I hate gay drama.  My brother is coming over because his roomate's boyfriend is trying to kill him or something.  I don't know.  I just know I had to wake up and move all the cats (and their cat stuff downstairs).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Actually, I can see the movie.

Small, conservative village with a grumpy priest who tries to rile up the parish against the hip gay guy.

The village dislike the priest, so, after an evening of heavy drinking, they promise the gay dude to elect him into the parish presidency.

The priest tries to put up a henchman of his as candidate, but fails.

The priest appeals to the cardinal to annul the election.

Cardinal meets gay guy and decides he's a good Christian and acknowledged the election.

The priest steams and fumes and threatens to step down.

Priest's ex-lover steps up (maybe with a kid looking suspiciously like the priest?).

The priest is disgraced and leaves.

A new, hip priest arrives in the village and falls in love with the gay guy.

HAPPY END.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 23, 2012, 10:20:22 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2012, 10:11:20 AM

If it's typical why does it always make the news?

For the same reason that "celebrity enters spiral of self-destruction through sex and drugs!" does - even though that is hardly unique.  :D