News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on March 09, 2012, 09:41:19 AM
A Communist was made (dick) head of Swedish military intelligence. :bleeding: WTF

The British did something similar in the 1950's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on March 09, 2012, 09:45:56 AM
Quote from: The Brain on March 09, 2012, 09:41:19 AM
A Communist was made (dick) head of Swedish military intelligence. :bleeding: WTF

Will he use the Swedish Military to overthrow the Capitalist oppressors?  I presume there are still a few of those in Sweden.

Don't know, I didn't read the whole article.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on March 09, 2012, 09:47:16 AMThe British did something similar in the 1950's.
Never head of an intelligence service :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on March 09, 2012, 09:45:10 AM
Quote from: Liep on March 08, 2012, 12:04:57 PM
Just watched the Kony 2012 video that's been viralling (is that a word?). Anyhoo, excellent viral marketing, but any video with a cameo by Shephard Fairey congratulating himself for being awesome gets a dislike in my book.

I thought white suburban kids normally went into causes that didn't call for armed conflict?

Yeah the Kony 2012 thing was weird and naturally I didn't trust it.  If you want to help Africans contribute money to serious organizations that fund economic developement and health care services.  These little trendy causes are usually bogus and driven by people of dubious motives.

:yes:

http://thedailywh.at/2012/03/07/on-kony-2012-2/
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

QuoteGerman Tabloid Strips Front Page of Daily Nude

For 28 years, readers of Germany's top tabloid have enjoyed a titillating treat. Almost every day, the paper's front page has featured a different girl-next-door in the nude. But citing changing times, Bild has now ended the "Page One Girl" feature. The paper promises that things will stay "sexy" inside, though.

When the daily tabloid Bild, Germany's top-selling newspaper, hits the newsstands on Saturday, readers will be surprised to find that a 28-year mainstay -- the topless woman who has graced the paper's front page nearly every day since 1984 -- will no longer be there.

Bild, known as much for its "Page One Girl" as its sensational headlines, made the decision on Thursday, International Women's Day.

The Friday-morning edition of the paper featured the massive front-page headline "Bild Elimates Page One Girl," accompanied by an equally mammose last-ever Page One Girl, "the beautiful Eva from Poland."

According to Bild, the decision to scrap the tradition was made by male staff members during an International Women's Day experiment that saw the paper's women sent home and the men left to produce the paper alone.

Bild's men described the challenge in Apollo-mission terms: "It may be a small step for women. But it's a giant step for Bild and all men in Germany."

Still 'Sexy' Inside the Paper

Over the years, more than 5,000 topless women -- and the very rare "Page One Boy" -- have been shown on the paper's front page. They've occasionally been given the day off when pushed aside by major news, such as the day German Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was chosen as pope in April 2005.

On Friday, however, the news of the ceremony marking President Christian Wulff's official exit from office was pushed to a small box on the side to make room for the Page One Girl announcement.

Still, fans of the feature will not be left completely breast-bereft. The paper has reassured its readers that it will continue to be "sexy," merely moving its fleshy photos to its inside pages.

According to Tobias Fröhlich, a spokesman for the paper's publisher Axel Springer AG, the decision to end the relationship with the Page One Girl was several years in the making.

"There's long been a discussion about whether it's still in keeping with the times," he said.

Likewise, Fröhlich is confident that the move will not hurt the paper's sales. "When the paper's in a kiosk, (the Page One Girl) is below the fold anyhow," he told SPIEGEL ONLINE. "In other words, it's not visible. When one goes to the kiosk, one sees the headlines, the eye-catcher."

"We're not worried," he added.

The German Caligas are crying now... ;)

MadImmortalMan

It's sad when traditions die.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

That is because of modern times?
Sounds like a backwards step to me.

But never heard of this, I thought we were strange with the Sun's page 3. Though given German TV...I'm not surprised. They do seem to have the most sexualised media.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on March 09, 2012, 09:54:38 PM

But never heard of this, I thought we were strange with the Sun's page 3. Though given German TV...I'm not surprised. They do seem to have the most sexualised media.

You obviously haven't ever watched Italian tv.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on March 09, 2012, 09:59:16 PM

Bunga bunga!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: The Larch on March 09, 2012, 09:59:16 PM

I have.  It's like public access television with tits.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

I just learned that Memphis is the fattest city in the world.  :nelson: @ Lettow
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Got chatting with a homeless man I bumped into in a Dorset town today, interesting character. His parting words were "stay away from psychiatrists", does he know something I don't ?  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Lettow77

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 10, 2012, 02:30:28 PM
I just learned that Memphis is the fattest city in the world.  :nelson: @ Lettow

Really? I'm not terribly surprised, but I AM kind of proud. My beautiful river city- it will be in many ways a shame to leave it forever. These majestic amerifats show a certain grandeur and vibrance as they bombastically live their butter-soaked lives. And the barbecue is so much better than anything the reserved, anemic Japanese with their subtlety, nuance and emphasis on presentation could ever deliver. STACKS OF PORK WITH MESSY GOOD ALL OVER IT

Ho, it is a whimsical thought that makes life more colourful, fasting here in Martin. I'll set some tea.  :)

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

MadBurgerMaker

Ugh I need to stop blowing off getting a flu shot every year.  Of course I say this every year after getting sick and still haven't done it, sooooo I guess I'll be whining again around this time next year!  Woo!