And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

On next season's 1,000 ways to die:

QuoteNC man drinks gasoline from jar, lights up, dies

HAVELOCK, N.C. (AP) - Police say a North Carolina man is dead after he accidentally drank from a jar of gasoline and then smoked a cigarette.

Havelock police received a 911 call about 9:55 p.m. Monday after 43-year-old Gary Allen Banning set himself on fire. Banning was transported to UNC Burn Center in Chapel Hill, where he died early Tuesday morning.

City spokeswoman Diane Miller said investigators believe Banning was at a friend's apartment when he apparently mistook a jar of gasoline sitting by the kitchen sink for a beverage. After taking a gulp, he spit the gas out and got some on his clothes.

Sometime later, investigators say Banning went outside to smoke a cigarette and burst into flame.

Havelock police and the city fire marshal are continuing their investigation.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be publi
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Any day when you drink gasoline is going to be a bad day.  I can understand the impulse to light up after that experience.

Syt

Quote from: Ideologue on March 05, 2012, 01:07:57 AM
Nah, I've always been pretty susceptible to that sort of thing, since I was a kid.

Oddly, it's only video that'll do it.  Actual movement (i.e., riding a roller coaster, or other amusement park discombulator), short of literally spinning in circles for minutes on end, won't make me ill.  The only time I ever got sick at an amusement park was some curved-screen monstrosity showing bumper-cam footage of a street race (notwithstanding that time I ate German food at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, but that's something else entirely).

Could be that your body can't handle a mismatch of visual vs. other sensory perceptions? I.e. eyes tell you you're moving, while sense of balance tells you you're standing still (kinda like the reverse of being inside a ship - visual sense says the room stands still, sense of balance says room is mving)?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on March 05, 2012, 11:55:07 AM
Nah, I've always been pretty susceptible to that sort of thing, since I was a kid.

Oddly, it's only video that'll do it.  Actual movement (i.e., riding a roller coaster, or other amusement park discombulator), short of literally spinning in circles for minutes on end, won't make me ill.  The only time I ever got sick at an amusement park was some curved-screen monstrosity showing bumper-cam footage of a street race (notwithstanding that time I ate German food at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, but that's something else entirely).

Could be that your body can't handle a mismatch of visual vs. other sensory perceptions? I.e. eyes tell you you're moving, while sense of balance tells you you're standing still (kinda like the reverse of being inside a ship - visual sense says the room stands still, sense of balance says room is mving)?

I think its the diabeetus.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Looks like that Limbaugh fellow is losing most of his sponsors for his channelling derSpiess moment.

PDH

I hope Spicey doesn't lose his sponsors :(
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on March 05, 2012, 12:53:20 PM
Looks like that Limbaugh fellow is losing most of his sponsors for his channelling derSpiess moment.

Was that moment so completely out of character for him?

DGuller

I just had a very close call.  I was set to cross the street while returning from lunch, but I saw the red "don't walk sign", so I stopped.  As I stopped, I heard this sickening sound.  I look down, and I see a bird shit on my left shoe.  I shudder to think what would've happened if I stopped just a fraction of a second later.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2012, 01:23:54 PMWas that moment so completely out of character for him?

For derSpiess? Not really. For Limbaugh? Not sure - I don't follow him enough to know.

Neil

They'll be back.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on March 05, 2012, 01:57:10 PM
They'll be back.

Well, the guy has said he doesn't want them back, so maybe not.

Iormlund

Quote from: Razgovory on March 05, 2012, 11:15:57 AM
Cleared my Hard Drive last night.  I like to do that on occasion.  Right now going through the tiresome task of updating windows.

I just buy another hard drive. It's faster than sorting through all kind of random crap.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2012, 01:23:54 PM

Was that moment so completely out of character for him?

You'd have to assume it is. I mean, he's been on the air 30 years or something. If he did that shit constantly there's no way he'd have survived this long.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on March 05, 2012, 11:55:07 AM

Indeed.  Thing is, I can get used to it (I mean, I played something like 2000 hours of Halo 3), I'm just waaay out of practice.

I also need to take my big screen downstairs.  My pal's/crypto-roommate's TV sucks in comparison to mine.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on March 05, 2012, 01:59:18 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 05, 2012, 01:57:10 PM
They'll be back.
Well, the guy has said he doesn't want them back, so maybe not.
The guy says all sorts of things.  So long as his people keep tuning in, advertisers will show up.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.