News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Whee, $17/hr doc review starting Monday with potential for 60 hours a week, maybe!

So I've got to move everything tomorrow. :bleeding:

It's insane.  Nine or ten months of nothing, almost to the point of being unable to land a sub-shitjob, and then three employers all at least willing to look me over at once.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 25, 2012, 09:57:22 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 25, 2012, 08:31:10 PM
Weirdly, today a woman (in real life) complimented me on my style of on-line debating/arguing, obviously not here, as it she had access to Languish, she wouldn't be saying that.  :D

Do you get involved in debates on Languish?  :huh: I mean real debates, not like our banter about the merits of bicycling.  :P

No I can't be arsed anymore; we've all been around the block more than one once, but it's still amusing to see 'some' people still plying their stick.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

No matter how many times they spam that Fiat commercial they played during the Superbowl now, I always stop whatever I'm doing for thirty seconds and watch it (her).  :wub:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on February 25, 2012, 10:01:10 PM
Whee, $17/hr doc review starting Monday with potential for 60 hours a week, maybe!

It's insane.  Nine or ten months of nothing, almost to the point of being unable to land a sub-shitjob, and then three employers all at least willing to look me over at once.

:cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 25, 2012, 10:01:10 PM

That's the way life works.  Get fucking used to it.

Ideologue

I just wish it was a little more notice (got the first interest-email Thursday) and that my first day of doc review (if the firm confirms me) was not on my move-out date, and that I didn't have to work my current job tomorrow night.

I might see if I can throw a few bucks at the apartment people and see if they'll let me stay another week, because I do not really have time to move (alternatively, I could just overstay and move out over the course of Monday and Tuesday nights, which would present them with a fait accompli).  They probably wouldn't let me despite a nearly four year business relationship, because they're pretty pissed that I dropped the science on them (that is, the SC Landlord-Tenant Act) when they told me I needed to give two months notice on a month-to-month lease.  Like, one of the managers actually screamed at me.  She was very unprofessional.

Also because I blew them off for like two months in giving them new documentation on my apt. insurance, because it ain't my fault they lost it, and I don't like talking to Korea.

If the firm confirms tomorrow morning, I might just no-show tomorrow night, or, alternatively, claim I fell down a flight of stairs, which has worked in other situations--I sort of want to keep the job open in case everything else collapses, as is everything else's wont when it comes to my existence.

I've been boxing up books I want to keep and tossing others.  Sad stuff. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 26, 2012, 02:54:55 AM
If they confirm tomorrow morning, I might just no-show tomorrow night, or, alternatively, claim I fell down a flight of stairs, which has worked in other situations.

Brilliant ideas, all.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 25, 2012, 05:56:31 PM
Whew.  One less off-season headache to worry about.

Spoke too soon.

QuoteCenter Matt Birk, who was strongly considering retirement after his 14th NFL season, is interested in returning to the Ravens for the 2012 campaign. Birk's agent, Joe Linta, informed the Ravens of the veteran's intentions today at the NFL scouting combine. Birk, 35, has started every game at center for the Ravens over the past three seasons and has started 97 consecutive games overall.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 26, 2012, 02:56:41 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 26, 2012, 02:54:55 AM
If they confirm tomorrow morning, I might just no-show tomorrow night, or, alternatively, claim I fell down a flight of stairs, which has worked in other situations.

Brilliant ideas, all.

On the plus side, Sunday night is, historically, slow as molasses, so at least it won't be tremendously physically stressful, which will be some small relief after tossing all my furniture tomorrow.  But, hell, that's only if I can get my dad down here--originally, we were supposed to do this shit Monday.  I can't even lift some of this stuff by myself, and most of it is insanely awkward to carry with one person, let alone to a dumpster 500 feet away.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

And now I'm dumping my comic collection--well, the single issues.  No spine?  No room.

Like ripping off an arm.  I wanted to be buried with my issues of Youngblood, like a really dorky pharaoh.
Kinemalogue

Syt

Any chance of putting some stuff in storage?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Not economically.

In fairness, almost everything essential is either in trade format also, or already on my hard drive.  There's no reason I need to carry around a physical collection of Sandman singles when I have the books or Transmetropolitan when I've got it in a gigabyte-or-so block on my HDD.

But I will miss some of the random stuff, like the Warlock Chronicles Jim Starlin did in conjunction with the Infinity Crusade (I pulled that out of the trash--turns out those holofoil covers are useful after all).

And I'm keeping the MADs.

I'd actually see if I could give 'em away to neighborhood children or something warm and fuzzy like that, but I need some torqued-up breeder telling the cops I gave their daughter the issue of Hellblazer where John Constantine S+Ms his gay lover to death (or something like that), like I need to get on the sex offender list.  Too much to sort.
Kinemalogue

Josquius

No friends or family or anything?
You have huge houses in the US, should be lots of room to store stuff.

And yeah, sucks, wait forever for a bus then two come along at once.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Well, I guess I could have, maybe, gotten my parents to keep it, but I doubt it.  But honestly I don't need this shit weighing me down every time I move.  And frankly, a lot of it is trash that I'll never look at again.  Wetworks?  Seriously?  I'd buy any nonsense when I was a kid.

Found that issue of Warlock and the Infinity Watch where Thanos fights Odin.  Okay, I'm keeping that.

If I'd seen Savage Dragon #7, I'd have rescued that too.  That fight with Overlord is the shit.  All splash pages. :wub:
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

OK, lady, you need to let me know if I need to show up tomorrow at nine.
Kinemalogue