And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Gay marriage article that made me lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17162442

QuoteHowever, Ben Summerskill, chief executive of gay, lesbian and bisexual charity Stonewall, said: "Our strong advice to anyone who disagrees with same-sex marriage is not to get married to someone of the same sex."
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Whew.  One less off-season headache to worry about.

QuoteReed tells Ravens that he's returning for 11th NFL season
Harbaugh: 'He told us that he was looking forward to it'

Any concern that the Ravens' Ed Reed might follow Ricky Williams' lead and retire ended recently when the perennial Pro Bowl safety spoke with coach John Harbaugh and confirmed that he plans to return for an 11th NFL season.

That was the anticipation among Ravens' officials all along, but the mercurial 33-year-old has flirted with retirement in the past and spoke of it on several occasions during the past couple of seasons when he hampered by hip, neck and shoulder issues.

"He met with John and he told John that he's going to get himself prepared to come back and play in 2012," Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome said when asked about Reed on the second full day of the NFL Scouting Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Reed, 33, made the Pro Bowl for an eighth time this past season, but he had a relatively quiet campaign and even drew some criticism as a result of some tackling issues and his failure to make as many big plays as Ravens' fans have grown accustomed to from the safety.

Reed, who did play in all 18 of the Ravens' games after sitting out six in 2010 and four in 2009, had two interceptions in the season-opening victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers and just one in the next 15 games. However, he played two strong playoff games, including making a potential game-saving interception in the end zone in the divisional round victory over the Houston Texans.

"He played a lot better than what some people sometimes want to think," Harbaugh said today. "He played really well. He's a big part of what we're doing."

Reed didn't speak to reporters after the season-ending loss to the New England Patriots in the AFC championship game. However, Harbaugh said that there was little doubt in his mind that Reed, whose contract expires after the 2012 season, would return.

"It was kind of funny. A couple people asked me and said, 'Ed's coming back?  Isn't that great?' I didn't know that was an issue, to my understanding," Harbaugh said. "Ed is so far along in his career. You've got to respect what he's done. You leave that in his hands. He told us right after the season that he was coming back next year and looking forward to it. He was in great shape this year. He stayed healthy throughout the whole year."

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on February 24, 2012, 04:52:24 PM
I've just read that technically British MPs can't resign.  :huh:
No.  They've been elected.  But they can't accept a position of profit from the Monarch under the Act of Settlement.  So the way they resign is to accept to old but effectively non-existent sinecure positions.  They're either Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds or Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northcote.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2012, 06:08:20 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 24, 2012, 04:52:24 PM
I've just read that technically British MPs can't resign.  :huh:
No.  They've been elected.  But they can't accept a position of profit from the Monarch under the Act of Settlement.  So the way they resign is to accept to old but effectively non-existent sinecure positions.  They're either Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds or Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northcote.

Yeah, I read about that mechanism too. It seems amazingly silly to me to have such a ridiculous system, why can't that be reformed?

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2012, 07:03:25 PM
Yeah, I read about that mechanism too. It seems amazingly silly to me to have such a ridiculous system, why can't that be reformed?
It could.  But why reform something that's working?

And I think the appointment as Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds is more fun than just Mr X MP resigned.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2012, 07:10:13 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2012, 07:03:25 PM
It could.  But why reform something that's working?

And I think the appointment as Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds is more fun than just Mr X MP resigned.

Because it's a silly and ridiculous procedure, and you get to sterile controversies when you get a MP that might want to resign his position but refuses to take part in the farce.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2012, 07:15:25 PM
Because it's a silly and ridiculous procedure, and you get to sterile controversies when you get a MP that might want to resign his position but refuses to take part in the farce.
Have you see what we make our judges wear?  Or the nonsense about the door of the Commons being slammed in Black Rod's face?

Actually I think the biggest danger of an MP not taking part has been faced.  Gerry Adams was the last MP to resign and there was an issue over whether he'd be willing to become a paid servant of the Crown in order to get out of the Commons (which he needed to do to run for a seat in the Dail).  In the end he did :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

What's that about the door of the commons?

Ed Anger

Your Spymaster reports the bailiff for North Rottencrotch is plotting to lower crown authority.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2012, 07:27:21 PM
What's that about the door of the commons?
The Monarch's not allowed in the Commons since the Civil War.  They give the speech of 'my government's priorities' for the coming parliamentary session in the House of Lords.  When they arrive they send Black Rod (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_rod) to go and summon MPs.  When he gets near the door MPs slam the door in his face.  Then he bangs on the door three times and gets let in to summon the Commons.

As with MPs taking a Crown office rather than resigning, it originates from the Commons establishing their independence from the Crown.  It still symbolises that, I suppose, but just looks a bit silly.

Similarly it's for MPs to decide whether or not they'll be 'summoned'.  A number of old Labour MPs like Dennis Skinner never go to the Queen's Speech and quite often heckle Black Rod.  They sit in the Commons rather than go and bow to the Crown.
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on February 25, 2012, 08:21:11 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2012-02-25/pope-conception/53241696/1?csp=24&kjnd=4H52vUVz2vxmDL8%2BXjnESetKcgCCJzun2oHBBk7MutlN3SpodW%2B4PSypEPcq%2BTTm-10c49b82-637e-41b9-948c-aeaa1abed696_rK4%2FYu1nCmTMn9bg%2BNGpiaEsb3RVsK6HGxP2iYo3WNh%2BGPOQ16kXjWP9bn1Uoqw9

:pope:

Yeah, it's a bit bizarre, given that there are some infertility trends in, for instance male sperm counts, that seem to be in part down to modern lifestyles and the environment we create. Some of the 'techniques' could be said to just be compensating for those issues.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Weirdly, today a woman (in real life) complimented me on my style of on-line debating/arguing, obviously not here, as it she had access to Languish, she wouldn't be saying that.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on February 25, 2012, 08:31:10 PM
Weirdly, today a woman (in real life) complimented me on my style of on-line debating/arguing, obviously not here, as it she had access to Languish, she wouldn't be saying that.  :D

Do you get involved in debates on Languish?  :huh: I mean real debates, not like our banter about the merits of bicycling.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?