News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on February 09, 2012, 04:47:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 09, 2012, 04:34:00 PMBernardo though has got an actual life sentence.

For some reason I like the sounds of an "indefinite" sentence more.   :menace:
But fucking Homolka is out already, isn't she?
Yeah.  It seems that she was also a victim.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on February 09, 2012, 04:34:00 PMBernardo though has got an actual life sentence.

Alas she received neither a life sentence or an indefinite sentence. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on February 09, 2012, 05:04:14 PM

She copped a deal didn't she? "I'll sell him out, tell you what we did to the one you don't know about, if I get out before my next period."
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on February 09, 2012, 05:36:51 PM
She copped a deal didn't she? "I'll sell him out, tell you what we did to the one you don't know about, if I get out before my next period."
I think so.  Still, it was a good thing for her that the prosecutors hadn't seen the tapes yet of the two of them going to work on those girls.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on February 09, 2012, 05:36:51 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 09, 2012, 05:04:14 PM

I don't remember all of the details, but yes.  She copped a plea.  This was before the videos were discovered, so the case against Bernardo was not airtight (and the situation with those tapes is probably still being taught in law school ethics classes).

Then the videos were discovered.  That made the case against Bernardo airtight.  They also revealed that Homolka wasn't entirely forthright about her involvement.  The Crown might have been able to resile from the plea deal on that basis, but ultimately decided not to.

She wasn't given a pass on her involvement.  She did get a 12 year jail sentence after all.  And I've known a few very knowledgeable and experienced people who believe Homolka was just yet another victim of Bernardo.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

'I was just following orders' doesn't cut it anymore.

Josephus

I've no doubt that Bernardo was the "ring leader" in that situation; but it's not like she was retarded or anything (she worked at a vets office). Don't forget that the first victim was her sister. You'd think at that point she might have ratted him out. OR not marry him. Whatever...I didn't study this in school. (Come to think of it, I was in school when most of this was happening.)
I think though that most people were shocked when Karla only got the 12 years, regardless, most of us unlegally educated think, of wheter or not she was a victim. Did she get out early, IIRC?

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

I give Barbie the nod for having the smarts to roll over Ken first for the deal.

Ed Anger

I always wanted to watch those tapes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 09, 2012, 06:24:46 PM

Me too.  Alas, they were destroyed by order of the court.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 09, 2012, 06:29:33 PM

Supposedly destroyed. I bet there are copies in some cop's hoard. I know cops, and they like to have trophies.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 09, 2012, 06:29:33 PM

You guys are sick. :yucky: I can be as pervy as the next guy but watching tapes of teenage girls screaming for their lives is ...eh....not my cup of tea.

CountDeMoney

Jos, this is Languish.  There will be no judging here.

Josephus

sorry. My bad. You're not a sicko.

Nothing wrong with that at all.  ;)

Now, where's that tattood midget shemale site I was just on.....

PDH

Quote from: Josephus on February 09, 2012, 06:41:00 PM
Now, where's that tattood midget shemale site I was just on.....

When you find it, send the link to Ide.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM