Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on January 30, 2012, 12:46:22 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 29, 2012, 10:51:31 PM
HMBOB did not know who Joshua Chamberlin was.  :mad:
You don't know who Austin Chamberlain was, and probably not Joseph Chamberlain either.

Who is Austin Chamberlain?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Didn't see you in town for this, garbon.

QuoteAddressing negative stereotypes of black men, yearlong program reaches end
But organizers hope Baltimore-based Black Male Identity Project extends to other cities

Using music, poetry, dance and art, the Black Male Identity Project has been striving for the past year to overturn negative stereotypes of African-American men.

"We know that Baltimore City has a lot of problems, but we wanted to celebrate the role of artists, of storytellers in producing narratives that can help us discover solutions," said Fanon Hill, a musician and co-director of the project.

On Sunday, the project concluded at the Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History & Culture, but organizers say the program's positive message will carry on here and elsewhere.

Sunday's event featured collages of magazine images, mixed-media self-portraits, paintings, a story quilt, poetry, even family crests by third-graders and other school-age artists.

Negative images of black men ultimately hurt everyone, organizers said Sunday.

"So long as our culture continues to view black men and black boys through a filter of unconscious negativity ... we're not benefiting because we are not taking advantage of the human resources that are out there," said Peter Bruun, the project coordinator.

The Black Male Identity Project was launched by Art on Purpose, a local organization that received a grant for the program from the Open Society Foundation's Campaign for Black Male Achievement. It held events for youth and adults throughout the past year.

Last summer, for instance, the project launched a series of performances of music, poetry and dance that attracted more than 1,000 attendees, mostly children, Hill said. For adults, the project hosted conversations that focused on a different topic each week, such as health, college and the economy.

"We just didn't talk about problems. We wanted to present solutions," Hill said.

Hill said one of the successes of the program was its ability to foster connections between people and the resources available to help them thrive.

Though this was a Baltimore program, Hill said he believes it will catch on elsewhere based on "countless calls" that he and a fellow director have received from groups in other cities.

"Everyone is watching this project," he said.

However, this was the final project for the nonprofit Art on Purpose, which was founded six years ago but is shutting down because of the weak economy, Bruun said.

Visitors Sunday said they were drawn to the project's theme.

"At this time in our country, we need all kinds of positive images in terms of strengthening the black males in our community," said Alveteus Z. Baylor-Taylor of Baltimore.

Baylor-Taylor, a kindergarten teacher at Sharp-Leadenhall Elementary in South Baltimore, said she came looking for something positive to bring back to her young male students.

Lionel Moore of Baltimore brought his 11-year-old son to find out more about the project and opportunities for both son and dad to get involved.

As a director of the family division for Prince George's County Circuit Court, Moore said, he has seen the problems facing African-American men and wants to find ways to volunteer and help out.

"I know that the black male in particular is struggling right now to have relevancy in this society," Moore said

Organizers put together some of the project's highlights on a DVD that they hope will be used in the classroom. To request a free copy, go to morethan28days.com.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on January 30, 2012, 02:06:34 AM
Quote from: Neil on January 30, 2012, 12:46:22 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 29, 2012, 10:51:31 PM
HMBOB did not know who Joshua Chamberlin was.  :mad:
You don't know who Austin Chamberlain was, and probably not Joseph Chamberlain either.

Who is Austin Chamberlain?
:o
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on January 29, 2012, 11:52:45 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 29, 2012, 11:49:34 PM
Ooops had a thought earlier today that surprised/worried me, I thought about romance as being in the past tense if you see what I mean.  :hmm: :( <_< :wacko:

I do. -_-
:(   :hug:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Symantec has been hacked. How the mighty have fallen.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

According to an article in the Economist a large proportion of US Ponzi schemes are perpetrated in Utah.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 30, 2012, 12:26:08 PM
According to an article in the Economist a large proportion of US Ponzi schemes are perpetrated in Utah.
Gullible Mormons :console:
Let's bomb Russia!

Lettow77

My morale is shattered. For the first time, the moon runes chose not to commune with me during examinations. I have been up all night, and the runes were silent, to by sudden, stark despair. Compounding my grief, a pretty (!) Korean (!!) woman began flirting with me, in the intemperate and immodest nature of her people. I believe I tactfully rejected this advance from the defiled world, but the damage cannot be undone, and why the moon runes failed me demands introspection. For now, I have declared a 24-hour period of fasting & reflection, to recover the good graces of the sacred isles.

I am going to sleep.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

PDH

Sometimes I read things, and though I see that it is in English, I am completely mystified as to meanings.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on January 30, 2012, 01:24:50 PM
Sometimes I read things, and though I see that it is in English, I am completely mystified as to meanings.

That's because you're not carrying a parasol amongst the magnolias when you read his antebellum bullshit.

HVC

Lettow is going to end up eating someones face.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

MadImmortalMan

I have just discovered that in the year 2002, on the most august question of Naked Mole Rats vs Sugar Gliders, I apparently voted...

"I find both to be unworthy of my soul's dedication".

Well I guess that's that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 30, 2012, 04:35:17 PM
I have just discovered that in the year 2002, on the most august question of Naked Mole Rats vs Sugar Gliders, I apparently voted...

"I find both to be unworthy of my soul's dedication".

Well I guess that's that.

Woah, that's a blast from the past.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lettow77 on January 30, 2012, 01:06:33 PM
My morale is shattered. For the first time, the moon runes chose not to commune with me during examinations. I have been up all night, and the runes were silent, to by sudden, stark despair. Compounding my grief, a pretty (!) Korean (!!) woman began flirting with me, in the intemperate and immodest nature of her people. I believe I tactfully rejected this advance from the defiled world, but the damage cannot be undone, and why the moon runes failed me demands introspection. For now, I have declared a 24-hour period of fasting & reflection, to recover the good graces of the sacred isles.

I am going to sleep.
What? Most Koreans (publicly) act like they've stepped out of the 1950s.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

QuoteThis happened on TAM airlines.

A 50-something year old white woman arrived at her seat and saw that the passenger next to her was a black man. Visibly furious, she called the air hostess.

"What's the problem, ma?" the hostess asked her
"Can't you see?" the lady said - "I was given a seat next to a black man. I can't seat here next to him. You have to change my seat"

- "Please, calm down, ma" - said the hostess
"Unfortunately, all the seats are occupied, but I'm still going to check if we have any."

The hostess left and returned some minutes later.

"Madam, as I told you, there isn't any empty seat in this class- economy class.
But I spoke to the captain and he confirmed that there isn't any empty seats in the economy class. We only have seats in the first class."

And before the woman said anything, the hostess continued

"Look, it is unusual for our company to allow a passenger from the economy class change to the first class.
However, given the circumstances, the commandant thinks that it would be a scandal to make a passenger travel sat next to an unpleasant person."

And turning to the black man, the hostess said:

"Which means, Sir, if you would be so nice to pack your handbag, we have reserved you a seat in the first class..."

And all the passengers nearby, who were shocked to see the scene started applauding, some standing on their feet."

Obviously an untrue piece of spam but :lol:
██████
██████
██████